Jack's Run by Roland Smith | Teen Ink

Jack's Run by Roland Smith

May 28, 2008
By Anonymous

Jack's Run Book Review


Bibliography

Smith, Roland. (2005). Jack's Run.

New York: Scholastic, Inc.


Summary

This book has a great plot that is very exciting. It starts when Mack (Jack) is living in Manteo, North Carolina, where he moved to from Elko, Nevada. He is moving from place to place because a man named Alonzo Aznar is after his family because their dad once flew for Alonzo's drug cartel and has valuable information about the cartel. Alonzo finds out that they are in Manteo from a prison cell because Christine, his sister formerly known as Joanne, and Mack go to Los Angeles where Christine gets on American Superstar, a hit TV show that discovers people with hidden talent. They are then caught and kidnapped by Alonzo's “crew”, where they get thrown on a private jet to Mendoza, Argentina at one of Alonzo's vineyards. Neil and Patricia, their parents, along with Sam and Smitty hijack a plane to rescue the kids when Alonzo's cartel gathers in Mendoza for the jamboree. Jack and Christine are trapped at Alonzo's vineyard with “Snake Eyes” and Alonzo's brother, Raphael. They escape and hide out in a barn at vineyard. Eventually Joanne is found and when Jack tries to find a way of the barn he breaks his ankle, but finds Christine and shoots Snake Eyes in the leg to save both their lives. Neil and the others crash the jamboree at about the same time by drugging Raphael at a secret meeting disguised at that time. Eventually they all find each other in Alonzo's mansion. From there they take a limo to Alonzo's stolen jet. After having a heart attack they find Alonzo in the hospital and threaten him with death if he ever goes after them again.
Setting

The setting starts by taking place in Manteo, the Osborne's, or should I say the Greene's, new home. It then shifts to Mendoza, Argentina, where the kids are held hostage at Alonzo's vineyard. The story ends in a hospital where Alonzo is threatened with his life if he ever comes after the Greenes again. Those are the main places where the story took place.
Recommendation

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes books about danger, adventure, and books that make you wonder what will happen next. When the kids are kidnapped you never knew if they would even live or not. It paints great mental pictures like when the author describes the western town, the underground bunker, and the vineyard. It is always is exciting and has no slow parts. It is a great book for anyone to read, I highly recommend it.
Genre
Jack's Run is an adventure, action, and drama.
Rating
I would rate this book an eight or eight and a half.