Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

sOmE_nIgHtS SILVER, Wayne, Pennsylvania

Yes it's hard to write, but it's harder not to.

Here we go again... at first  I loved Twilight, but now it kind of annoys me...

on Oct. 9 2010 at 10:56 am
EmilyClark BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
I love the last line of your article though I dislike the actual book. 

on Oct. 9 2010 at 10:55 am
EmilyClark BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
I found Twilight to be one of the worst books that I have ever read. The first one was okay, but the rest appeared to be just way to rake in cash. The way the books were written was horrible and the plot line was all over the place. Many questions were left unanswered or unexplained. I'm sorry if you like this book, but I found it terrible. Bella was annoying, Edward was creepy, and Jacob needs help. 

Boredom said...
I forced myself to read the first Twilight book. The beginning was fine, if a little cliched. But near the end, it was just getting boring. Nothing seemed to make sense anymore, like why the vampire that was trying to kill Bella hated her and Edward so much. I might've kept on reading the series if Bella hadn't been the most annoying protagonist I have ever read about. She's obsessive, complains about everything, and seems to have no concept of fear. She's so aggravating, the book just wasn't that enjoyable.

Stv :) said...
on Oct. 1 2010 at 10:33 am
I thought twilight was a really good book.

Nesser7 said...
on Sep. 29 2010 at 8:52 am
My opinion of Twilight is that I don't like it. Why are so many people obsessed over these books and over  the characters in them? I think it is just a fad like Harry Potter was and it will eventually die down just like Harry Potter did.

MadisonReneeJane GOLD, Norman, Oklahoma

The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy. - Jim Rohn

I totally agree. When I was in the phase of reading the series it was fantastic to me and I stayed in that phase until the first movie came out. Then I realized it wasn't that big of a deal.

BriBear BRONZE said...
BriBear BRONZE, LaFayette, Georgia

If i was perfect they'd have to redifine the words

Honetly i thought this way at first but i finally read every book that was of interest to me i got bored and started reading the twilight saga....... and sudenly i was hooked... i have learnt that u cant judge a book from what u hear.... and now im a vampire fanatic :) it would be cool if u rethought what u said and try the book. but if not thats fine

Aidyl BRONZE said...
Aidyl BRONZE, Oshawa, Other

"If you want a friend be a friend."

-Poster

"That's cool. Hey you know what's even cooler than triceratops? Every other dinosaur that ever existed!"
-Dwight Schrute The Office

I think that although there was the added twist of vampires, the plot is mostly cliched. Also, the whole "vampires aren't really monsters" isn't completely original as many people seem to think. The writing wasn't amazing, and the characters weren't that deep, but it was a page turner. I liked it while I was reading it, but when I though hard about it afterwards, I realised that it wasn't a great book.

freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida

"Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door." ;)

why??? The series is awsome

fallentears SILVER, Warren, Michigan
I agree as well, I don't agree with the review, but I suppose it was well written. It still fails to change my opinion, though.

lexi925 said...
I love the books, personally, but that's me. I wouldn't ever try to convince anybody to like something they didn't. Please keep that in mind as I say that Bbb4313 was being unneccessarily cruel, and it was obvious they did not read the books or make an attempt to do such, and so their point is marked invalid. In my viewpoint, at least, Stephanie Meyer did a wonderful job. If you don't think so, that's up to you. If you do, WOOT WOOT!!

Saadi said...
Saadi, Karachi, Other
I totally disagree with the existence of vampires,but the movie has changed the mind of mine as well as changed the mind of "the article writer",it seems sometimes that some unrealistic things leaves a big impression on your mind although i am a very strong supporter of realistic stories.Sometimes with supernatural and unrealistic things some good msgs can be sent,like edward's resistance off bella's bloood,this sends a msg to me of love and patience,so nice book

TheNovaClytie PLATINUM, Woodhaven, Michigan

If I could run away from my problems, I'd probably get lost, and then new problems would find me.
~Shelby Seeley

yes, the better reviews i have read showed me the cons of the story, and i love twilight, but they also made me think of the many wrong things the author did in this book. nice piece.

Daddysgurl said...
on Sep. 8 2010 at 11:34 am
I love twilight too

on Sep. 8 2010 at 10:13 am
Although the review was very organized and clear, when I started reading it, I hoping that it would present both pros and cons of Twilight, which it unfortunately didn't. A good book review always includes the good points and bad points as a book, and all that I found in this review were what was so amazing about Twilight and why everybody should read it. So, to sum it up, this review felt very biased to me.

Gekkonidae BRONZE, State College, Pennsylvania

"If everyone were normal, no one would be weird! ... wait..."

I'll have to admit that I hated the entire series, though your review was very organized and well-written. Good job!

MusicNote3 GOLD, 23071, Virginia

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."
— Oscar Wilde (The Critic as Artist)

I agree completely.

MusicNote3 GOLD, 23071, Virginia

— Oscar Wilde (The Critic as Artist)

But the review was really good. :)

MusicNote3 GOLD, 23071, Virginia

— Oscar Wilde (The Critic as Artist)

As a horror movie/literature fanatic, I have an explanation for you. Vampires are a staple of classic Horror tales. Stephanie Meyers takes the concept of a bloodsucking monster and makes it into this romantic caring nonsense. Atleast Anne Rice kept the terror aspect but added a little romance.