Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

May 30, 2008
By Anonymous

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 723 comments.


Jenn said...
on Jun. 7 2010 at 10:43 am
Yeah, but how often do you see people calling themselves "Drarry Shippers"???? We don't have    T-SHIRTS that say those things because we aren't obbsessed!!!!!!!!!

on Jun. 6 2010 at 1:26 pm
anythingelseogaegerheh, G, New York
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Actually, Harry Potter has a lot of names for themselves depending how far you get into it.

We have a worst thing then "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob".

We have Harmony/ Pumkin Pie for Harry/Hermione.

Orange Crush - Ginny/Harry

Herons/The Good Ship- Hermione/Ron

Ginny/Draco- Fire and Ice

Draco/Harry - Drarry xD

 

And a LOT more then just those.


on Jun. 6 2010 at 10:16 am
LaughingGirl GOLD, Ocala, Florida
13 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
Play the music not the instrument. -Author Unknown

Exactly. It was ok, but Stephenie Meyer really dragged the books out. And, she could have made Bella a little more of an independent person, and not so...you know... :)

on Jun. 5 2010 at 5:15 pm
Ninja_Writer BRONZE, Western Springs, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 27 comments
Are you serious? I'll give you that Harry wasn't super addictive, but TWILIGHT??? Seriously? I'm sorry but the plot was terrible

on Jun. 4 2010 at 6:41 pm
skatergirl13 PLATINUM, Woodbridge, Virginia
21 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
" your heart is the most valuable thing I have I don't want to lose it"

I think the series was really good the book really grab my attention...but they ruined everything about vampires... when did vampires.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 1:57 pm
emilystar_bellacullen, Kolkata, Other
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
GIVE ME PEN AND PAPER AND I FEAR NO MAN

I USED TO BE REALLY OBSESSED WITH HP BE4 BUT THEN I FOUND TWILIGHT...AND FELL IN LOVE WITH IT.COMPLETELY.HARRY'S GOOD BUT IT'S NOT THAT ADDICTIVE.GO TEAM EDWARD!!!

twi-hard fan said...
on Jun. 3 2010 at 4:52 am
When I first heard about the twilight series I honestly didn't like it or evn think about reading the books. Some of my friends had read it and were trying to convince me to have a go because they were so good. I didn't listen to them and countined reading other books, but nothing vampire related. Then one day, i had nothing to read and found twilight in the bottom draw of my bedside table. Abruptly I was like, "No way," but my mum suggested that I should just  read the first couple of chapters. I gave it a try and was instantly hit with the twilight magic! I was a bit late and only started reading the series late last year.  I told my friends about it and they said, "Oh, no. Not you too!" But I countinued to read it. Then maybe a month later my friend began to read it and just like me was hit with twilight magic! Now my friend and I are 'DIE HARD, TWI-HARD FANS.' We absolutely adore the series! Every day we make a least 10 twilight refernces, it is crazy! My other friends are sick of me talking about twilight! But I don't care because I am completely and utterly obsessed! I even have a twilght shrine in my room with about 40 something posters and lot's of merchendise. I cannot wait untill eclipse! I AM SO EXCITED! Anyway thats my story! Comment and tell me what you think!

on Jun. 2 2010 at 6:08 pm
Ninja_Writer BRONZE, Western Springs, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 27 comments
Jenn is so right. I mean "Team Edward"? "Team Jacob"? The way people obsess over this is almost cult-like! Harry Potter forever!

on Jun. 2 2010 at 6:06 pm
Ninja_Writer BRONZE, Western Springs, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 27 comments
I certainly wouldn't give this book a five out of five stars. No doubt it was well written and intertwined love, friendship, and life to the theme of the supernatural, but it was so... monotone. All four books, all Bella does is pity herself and fawn over Edward. I felt like smacking her!

on May. 30 2010 at 1:41 pm
ashbadash BRONZE, Ocala, Florida
4 articles 1 photo 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
Friends are like glue, they always stick by your side.

When I 1st heard of Twilight I thought "Ewwww vampires really, that's just weird and totally nonrealistic", but now that I've read the whole series I learned that it's not all about vampires and werewolves. It's about relationship and friendship and love and forgiveness. Anyone who objects to reading this is really missing out on a great opportunity to explore something new and try something different. In the end you may luv it like I do. I'm not obsessed with it but I do feel the concepts of each book go with challenges and difficulties of today. It is a really amazing sereis and I hope you like it.

Jinx14 said...
on May. 30 2010 at 8:22 am
I agree with you there,all my mates had read the books and loved the films but personally didnt wanna read it cuz i never really went for the vampire theme,but when i went on a trip to paris with my school my mate had bought Twilight with them and I had forgotten my book and so that waz the only book i could read but too my suprise i really enjoyed it and finished it on the coach and boat there and ended up buying the rest when i got home!!!

Jenn96 said...
on May. 26 2010 at 6:19 pm
Twilight fans need to read Harry Potter and Dracula. Dracula is a REAL vampire book, and HP is way more addictive, but you don't see use HP fans making up cutsie names for ourselves. We're just "Harry Potter fans"

Safeleo said...
on May. 25 2010 at 11:40 pm
Safeleo, Iwakuni, Other
0 articles 0 photos 118 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Looking up into the night sky is like looking into infinity - the distance is incomprehensible and therefore meaningless."
-Douglas Adams

I hated the book. The plot was all over the place and all the books where practically the same. The movie sucked too.

Vamps4ever said...
on May. 23 2010 at 3:18 pm
when i first heard of Twilight, i thought what a nerdy book. i mean when someone mentions vampires, i never thought i was interesting. then to my dismay (i thought) i got the book for christmas, before you know it i read all 4 in a month. twilight has changed the vision of vampires all across america! live on Stepanie Meyer!

on May. 21 2010 at 7:29 pm
WildFlOwEr1221 BRONZE, Walnut Cove, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
the reason i punched the review mirror with her fist is cause starting now im never looking back

i was a vampire lover before twilight and twilight just made me love it more lol im a die hard twi fan and not afraid to say it lol

on May. 21 2010 at 10:23 am
AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona
22 articles 0 photos 179 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

Oh my goodness!  I am a total twi-hard, and have read twilight countless times.  You captured it so well!  The only thing I would recomend is that you expound on the part about the dream Stephanie Meyer had of Edward and Bella- I know all about it, because, like I said, I'm a twi-hard- but most people won't really know.  Here's a fun fact you probably didn't know- but then afain, maybe you do... The reason Stephanie Meyer picked Bella as a name for her character is because she wanted a daughter, but had sons.  Bella was the name she had wanted for her daughter!  Keep writing- based on your style, I suspect you would be good at fiction!

JeanGrey GOLD said...
on May. 21 2010 at 3:18 am
JeanGrey GOLD, Mason City, Iowa
10 articles 0 photos 258 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."-Oscar Wilde

Very good review, though I personally hate the books, and can give you a million reasons why, but I won't :) Good review though! You have a nice vocabulary :)

Megannnn said...
on May. 19 2010 at 12:45 pm
Megannnn, My Town, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Giving up doesn't mean that your weak. It means your strong enough to let go.

Ooohh look at you, using big words and junnnkkk lmao. I liked the books too. Ya, it can get boring but then it hooks you back in.

ablonda GOLD said...
on May. 19 2010 at 12:30 pm
ablonda GOLD, Stafford Springs, Connecticut
14 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do what makes you happy
Be with who makes you smile
Laugh as much as you breathe
Love as long as you live


~Author Unknown~

I like the way that they put the movies together using Stephanie Meyer's words and thoughts anout the beautiful and graceful creatures.

ablonda GOLD said...
on May. 19 2010 at 12:28 pm
ablonda GOLD, Stafford Springs, Connecticut
14 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do what makes you happy
Be with who makes you smile
Laugh as much as you breathe
Love as long as you live


~Author Unknown~

I read the first two books. They were good, but I thought that they put too much detail into it. It seemed to get really boring the farther i got into the series, but i do admit, it was good literature.