Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

mycatali said...
on Oct. 29 2010 at 10:02 am
an adventure that held suspence .

Tsumench SILVER, Grapevine, Texas

2 Timothy 1:7, 1 Peter 5:7, Philippians 4:4-7, John 3:16, Joshua 1:9, 1 Corinthians 13:13, Philippians 4:13, Isaiah 41:10, Isaiah 40:31, GENESIS 1:1, John 14:27, John 14:18

I meant 'There is no reason to be violent just because someone hates or dislikes it.'

Tsumench SILVER, Grapevine, Texas

Real vampires don't sparkle. Eward and Jacob are fake, they will never marry you. There is no reason to be violent just because someone likes it.

Thanks to the fangirls/fanboys who are OVER OBSESSED with the Twilight series, I will never like Twilight again. I am ashamed that I used to be a Twilight fan. I wish it was back to when the series was just a book. Now ever since the movies came out, these random girls(or guys) see Edward or Jacob and are like 'OMG1!! He iZ Sooo HAWT!!111' or 'I AM MRS. CULLEN!!! YOU BETTER STAY BACK OR YOU WILL DIE!!'

Whoa there ladies(or gentlemen)! Calm down! It's just a book/moive. Everything is fake.

'Normal' twilight fans are okay. But over obsessed fans who make Twilight their LIFE needs to get a REAL life.

Leann14 GOLD said...
Leann14 GOLD, DeGraff, Ohio
Personally, before the TEAM JACOB- TEAM EDWARD thing blew up in our faces I really enjoyed the series. I know some of you really dislike Bella and/or Edwards characters, but people are unique and I liked how Stephenie Meyer described them in her books. I thought it was very unique and a cool concept... until of course the media ruined it with the movies. The movies would be fine on their own, but they are nothing like the books to me. Now it kind of annoys me. The whole thing. Grrr. :( do i make any sense? sorry haha. im just not sure what to think anymore i mean i used to be borderline obsessed with edward.. but he is nonrealistic and will never exist for anyone. sorry.

mcrocksxoxo said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 6:15 am
I just looked it up, it was called Forever Dawn. I can totally relate to having books that don't work. After two months of working on a piece non stop i realized that I didn't want Charlotte to die, so i spend only five minutes erasing it, all 500 pages! It felt like my soul was falling apeart, sinking into my shoes. But that's why i love this review, because it just seems to make you think!

mcrocksxoxo said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 6:07 am
I love twilight, but i read on Stephenie's site that she wrote a book before new moon but then changed her mind. I really hope someday she decides to post it on her website because i am really eager to read all about it! Humm, how would it feel if the twilight saga was taken in a whole different direction? Think about that!

Most amazing review I read! I also agree with stargirl. I read the review for homework and I think I know just how to write one. You included the theme, there's no resolution, and you have everything my teacher said to look for. The ultimate best part is, "Forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest," very well thought out. I have to say, I think Twilight and New Moon (still waiting to see Eclipse) are indeed, New York Times worthy.

Maddyandsnoopy GOLD, Rocklin, California

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

That is exactly how I feel. Also, tons of girls have now decided they want an "Edward." When I hear this, all I think is "Really? You want a possessive stalker who won't even let you talk to your best friend?" Honestly, I think Twilight depicts an abusive relationship.

WALL-E DIAMOND said...
WALL-E DIAMOND, Portland, Oregon

Loved the article! I don't think Twilight's for everybody, but you make a persuasive argument.

anjali said...
i love it.............jst luv it........

Felicia17 BRONZE, Davisburg, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Although i liked the books romantic side i was quite dissapointed with the fact that Stephenie Meyer turned a horrific monster that originally caused nightares into something "sparkly" and head over heals in love. I miss Stephen Kings, Anne Rice, and Bram Stokers version of vampires, where the main instinct was to feed like a ferocious, rabid animal. I know this is supposed to appeal to a younger crowd but all it does is create sick fantasies that in reality could never be true. People can't have the perfectly svelte figure of the female Cullens, or the cool, calm, collectedness of the male Cullens. Its okay to dream but all it takes is one harsh tug to fall back into reality.

on Oct. 19 2010 at 11:40 am
36Black52White SILVER, Park City, Utah

"Practice like you are the worst, perform like you are the best."

I don't agree at all. As other people have stated below, the Twilight series is overexposed and completely overrated. The first book sucked everyone in with the new concept of gorgeous, godlike vampires instead of batty shape shifters, but after that, the books grew quickly tiring. The only reason I finished the series is because my friends desperately egged me about it. Bella Swan is about as annoying and needy as they come, and Edward is a creepy stalker with a fetish for watching people sleep. I don't recommend this book at all. A better selection would be the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Although quite long, the books are fantasy as they should be written.

ThreeWishes said...
on Oct. 18 2010 at 10:55 am
ThreeWishes, London, Other
I feel tha same!! I used to love Twilight but i guess im over it ...

Natasha Da Silva, London, Other
I completely agree. I LOVE the books but i can say it's badly written. If you read Breaking Dawn , at the end all you'll think is: Honestly, is that an ending? Thats more how like fairy books end or something! I dont like the way the book is written but i LOVE the book....dunno how that works out but you get the point :P

Shel_B said...
on Oct. 15 2010 at 8:03 am
I like twilight too! it's amazingg :D

lightningscar- BRONZE, Stratford, Other

There are many causes for which I would die for, but none for which I would kill.
-Ghandi

Harry Potter did not die and NEVER will. We made horcruxes of it's populairity. Also, Twilight isnt even a good book, Harry Potter is.

Stick that i your Pumpkins Juice and SUCK IT.

:P

lightningscar- BRONZE, Stratford, Other

-Ghandi

I don't agree, I've read the books, and Stephanie Meyer definatly isn't that good of a writer, and BELLA  IS A HORRIBLE CHARACTER. She is clumsy, stupid and can't do anything for herself. I could go on, but I will not.

Leo123 said...
I loooooove this book!

virginieee said...
on Oct. 11 2010 at 7:27 am
I thought the exact same thing!! The first one wasn't great, but you could read it without getting annoyed. And I completely agree with you: Bella is sososososososososososososooooooo annoyiong, Edward is a creeper, and Jacob has issues, too.

sOmE_nIgHtS SILVER, Wayne, Pennsylvania

Yes it's hard to write, but it's harder not to.

Love the article though!!