Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

May 30, 2008
By Anonymous

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 723 comments.


on Jul. 18 2010 at 4:20 pm
Dancingintherain97, Newport, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
If there is a book you really want to read and it has not been written yet then you must write it. -Toni Morrison

Yeah, I agree stargirl.

on Jul. 16 2010 at 10:15 am
BungalowBillPhotography, Juno, Alaska
0 articles 0 photos 144 comments

Favorite Quote:
egad

yes I agree completely. The characters were weak of personality, and the plot was very lacking. I feel that a lot of teens look up to a lot of characters in the book, but I wouldn't recomend looking up to them, because Bella is a very poor excuse of a woman as blue metal said. Although Edward is quite the gentlelman, I still stand by my opinions on twilight.

I can see why girls can get so caught up in the book, because of the combination of genres (romance, thriller, etc.) because I was enjoying the book myself for a bit. After I had finished the series (in a week lol, I was sick) I realized the lack of what a book needs, so I found the book less interesting. I will not judge you for what you read, so enjoy what you enjoy.

And for Katey you wrote a nice book review :)


stargirl said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 11:47 pm
I would have to agree with you.  Twilight is a great book, and at the same time, the entire series is WAY overrated.  I can't go outside without seeing Team Edward and Jacob shirts, ads for Eclipse, and now, merchandise at Burger King!  Anyone who agrees with me that Twilight has taken a little too much root in our culture, please post here.

teen_queen said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 4:13 pm

In my opinion, Twilight was an amazing book! It was like a movie playing in your head. It was so good, I would always tell someone to read it when they asked me what books they should read.

~Mia


aub13zzz said...
on Jul. 4 2010 at 3:35 pm

i love all ur arguments, and i didn't think i'd like Twilight, but then i read it and i love it! i just h8 it wen ppl h8 on it...

if u don't like it, okay. if u wanna say ur opinion, go ahead! its just when u r so vehement about h8ing it... it just annoys me! ppl should say, "i don't like twilight" instead of "twilight sucks! its so stupid! i h8 it!" b/c its still writing, and how would someone feel if thier writing was h8 on like that?!

sorry for my rant lol... but i love it! and i love the last line... so great! keep it up! :)


sabortooth1 said...
on Jul. 4 2010 at 3:19 pm
sabortooth1, Logan, Utah
0 articles 0 photos 12 comments
Please read the book review on The Kite Runner. Really Inspiring!

on Jul. 3 2010 at 9:58 pm
emmilove24 BRONZE, Erlanger, Kentucky
3 articles 13 photos 73 comments

Favorite Quote:
"True strength is holding yourself together, when everyone expects you to fall apart."

i was never into the Harry Potters.  I thought they were dragged on way to long and it got boring. i didnt even watch many of the movies. i find Twilight more modern and up to date with teens of this century

on Jul. 2 2010 at 4:39 pm
bluemetal7392 BRONZE, Ridgefield, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If i don't like it I won't do it"
- Considerably anonymous

i love spike is all i can say. and twilight sucks. i read it and then was like ok... i am going to make sure my windows are locked at night.

on Jul. 2 2010 at 4:36 pm
bluemetal7392 BRONZE, Ridgefield, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If i don't like it I won't do it"
- Considerably anonymous

Totally agree, and vampires are so much more sexy when they are evil and good, like angel and spike, it rounds the characters out. i am obsessed with buffy sorry. and a story could use a comic relief

on Jul. 2 2010 at 4:30 pm
bluemetal7392 BRONZE, Ridgefield, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If i don't like it I won't do it"
- Considerably anonymous

finally an actual sane person

on Jul. 2 2010 at 4:24 pm
bluemetal7392 BRONZE, Ridgefield, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If i don't like it I won't do it"
- Considerably anonymous

I agree with slushi. These characters were flat, and did not divelop throughout the series. Bella was a poor excuse for a woman, she whinned and was a constant damsol in distress. She could barely make any dicissions on her own, and let her life revolve around one guy. Edward was a creeper. There really is no other comparison. He had no personality what so ever. These books were un eventful and dragged on and on and on. There was barely a plot line. And why did the entire vampire world revolve around a perfectly average, dellusional, pale girl? Because she kissed a guy who wanted to eat her and she figured out that he was a blood sucking creep. The entire story is pretty mush flat, and there wasn't even a good handfull of villains. Meyer kept the characters personal lives and histories vague and foccused on one thing, edward and bellas love. which is ok because that is what a love story is. But a story needs dynamic, where as twilight has very few. so i stick with "Buffy" Because i love ancient folklores and when a piece of art features that it is intrigueng. Twilight didn't have any folkore. Vampires are creatures of the night, they burn in the sun, and they die at the stake. They are intially demons, The concept makes sense. The whole sparkle thing is wierd and so is the no fangs. Vampires were not intended to be gods, they were intended to represent evil. I still love vampires, but i don't think they should be misleading. Twilight is an empty facade. I <3 Spike ;-). And the book could use a little humor, i mean come on.

on Jun. 28 2010 at 10:04 pm
wearewed BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
never let your eyes tell your heart what to feel but let your heart teel your eyes what to see

hey slushie you only tink that because your angry people are only reading the book and not paying attetion to you

 


on Jun. 28 2010 at 9:12 am
TristeLuvz2Write SILVER, Groton, New York
7 articles 3 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life's Not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
"Maybe I should call Bella and hang up!" --Quil Ateara, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

I agree completly. Meyer's idea of vampires comes across as new and exciting. And that was her vision for the book. Something different.

on Jun. 28 2010 at 9:08 am
TristeLuvz2Write SILVER, Groton, New York
7 articles 3 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life's Not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
"Maybe I should call Bella and hang up!" --Quil Ateara, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

When the big fad of Twilight came out, I didn't want to read them. But then I did and fell in love with them. I mean, I wouldn't call my self a "TwiHard" but because of Twilight I found out my love of vampires and other Fictional creatures. And if you haven't already, read The House of Night Series.

on Jun. 22 2010 at 3:16 pm
IAmMyself BRONZE, Newton, Massachusetts
1 article 1 photo 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
Saying that life will be good to you because your a good person is like saying that an angry bull won't charge because your a vegetarian










-I Don't Know

that is the most tipical response i have ever heard. of course you dont like. your the typical synical teen that doesnt like to have an open mind. you follow the typical responce and dont even care enough to dig deep enough to find other meanings

Slushi SILVER said...
on Jun. 12 2010 at 6:33 pm
Slushi SILVER, Toronto, Other
8 articles 1 photo 6 comments
Sorry for the accidental double post.

Slushi SILVER said...
on Jun. 12 2010 at 6:32 pm
Slushi SILVER, Toronto, Other
8 articles 1 photo 6 comments
Claudia M. took the words right out of my mouth.

Slushi SILVER said...
on Jun. 12 2010 at 6:31 pm
Slushi SILVER, Toronto, Other
8 articles 1 photo 6 comments

 

I thought Twilight was a horribly written book with bland characters and a non-existent plot. Bella was supposed to be mature and considerate, yet she whined for a good third of the book, treated her father with no respect and thought she was superior to everyone. We were told that she was average-looking, though half the school fell head over heels with her on the first day. The only reason Bella had lusted for Edward was for his looks, forgetting the fact that he's about her grandparent's age, stalks her, breaks into her house through her window and watches her fall asleep at night (!). Likewise, Edward only "loved" Bella for the scent of her blood. Their supposed forbidden love was forbided by none other than Charlie, who had no power over Bella or Edward. For the first 200 pages of the book, nothing happened; the majority of the content was either Bella’s nauseating whine or an Edward’s apparent “god-like” appearance. When the climax finally arrived, we see the Cullen clan running away from James and Victoria, even though it was 6 vs 2 and the Cullens were supposed to be strong.


on Jun. 12 2010 at 1:40 pm
Jessica Goss BRONZE, San Jose, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I agree, but I think that was part of the point.  They need each other so much.  Maybe I am wrong, but I think that if she was more independent the story wouldn't have been the same.  But.. the movies made her seem extra monotonous.  :/

gossipgirl said...
on Jun. 11 2010 at 7:39 pm
i am a twihard. I read them before the movie came out and before all the hype. I was in love with them, but the movie came out and heaps of people were like 'im suuuch a twihard/twilighter!' when they had only watched the first movie (which i hated) and hadnt even read the books! That really irked me and sadly it sort of put me off the books. Those people give all real twihards a bad name.