Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

christina112 said...
wow!! i love this poem! i think it has alot of meaning and heart that you put in this piece of writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexandra H. said...
I kinda get a mixed message from this, but I really love it. The language you use and everything is just right.

fairy said...
This is a GREAT poem. I love how it rhymes. The mood of it is very calm and serene. You got talent.

Jonel F. said...
Apr. 13, 2009 at 1:34 am
Wow!!! This is a Great poem. I had just sign up and your poem is the first poem I've read and I Liked it even though it had a sad ending. GREAT JOB

Taylor W. said...
Wow. That was amazing. The review above me says it reminds her of Emily Dickinson, and I have to agree, but not because of the beat but because of the subject matter. It's a really fantastic poem and you're a really fantastic writer.

megan G. said...
wow that was great, kinda sad, too. u have great talent! keep writing!

gonzaleztd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love it... Reminds me of Ormond Beach, FL.

Mariah C. said...
i LOVE this, you did really good on it :], high five lol. and i can relate to it very well. you were very creative :].

Darcey W. said...
Apr. 10, 2009 at 2:02 am
I love your creative mind. (:

Adriannalovesanime said...
I really liked this:)
I agree with the others I didn't expect the ending.
I love this.

Ben A. said...
Just Wanna Say:

This is an amazing piece, the best I've seen on here so far.

xx

Emo_Ninji said...
It's an odd poem but it kept the readers attention. Very different perspective to look at things. And it's very odd to see the relationship with a father described this way, i wouldn't know so that is very insightful.

Michele M. said...
very good. unexpected ending too.

JessyWeLoveYou said...
amazing!....i think you might like some of mine idk....well heres 1 of my best TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/90045/Meth/

smmrox said...
I liked this it was cute.

sumthingspecial said...
wow that was gud...:]

dulcenina1210 said...
Great work, really. I love the symbolism and how even though you could fly, you were still bound to earth and your dad was still somehow there to protect you. I would really appreciate some feedback on mine. I'm still pretty much a fledgling writer and I haven't had any really good criticism. TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/92093/Guitar-String-Lover/

True220 said...
this is a lovely poem

lovesscola04 said...
Mar. 16, 2009 at 5:47 am
Several people on here have commented about the 'i's. Few, if any, have asked your reason for not capitalizing them, however. I'm curious to see if you had a particular reason. Some people, myself included, find meaning in little things like uncapitalized 'i's. It was an interesting peom to say the east, and I really liked it. Everyone has a different outlook on childhood and life in general, and I think that makes description even more important in such poems. Use more of it, ple... (more »)

project827 said...
interesting stuff, Carl. A good idea, but you could work on the presentation a bit.