Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

rockyraccoon said...
i think it depends on the circum stances. what if a kid kills their physicly abusive parents in those cases their should be special treatment. However crimes of passion and maybe drugs should they should be tried as adults.

writer-in-pearls replied...
not every child knows to call CPS, or feels that CPS can help them, leading to further abuse. Abuse may lead a child to feel that they have no way out, and that killing their abuser is the only way out. It is obviously still very serious, but you oughtn't judge a situation that you have not been in. 

nessarobin replied...
well yu dnt kno whuut another person has ben hrough bhut obviouslt this website is for ppls personal experiences and opinions an lyk i said !!! IT IS NAWT OKAY TO KILL YOUR PARENTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE !!

Fizzle said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 5:16 am
Since we're taliking about murder cases, I believe that teens should be tried as adults. If not, they are most likely going to repeat the crime knowing that they won't get in any serious trouble. For example, I know people who have stolen things of mine because they figured they were only 10 and there was no one who would really punish them if they were caught. Now, at 13 they are still stealing because they think it's okay. Now if you're a teenager, you know that murder is wrong (unless it's in... (more »)

thia44 said...
that would be fair your thinking an eye for an eye witch makes the world go blind (come on imean its simpel as preschool)and it depends if the kid was mentaly capabel or what he was tought or his background every thing maters.

thia44 said...
I compleatly disagrea, i am 14 and have never done any thing that is ileagale. You can never judge a persons capabilty to un erstand or know the right thing or wrong by looking at the general population that is basicaly steriotypeing. And you have to take in the particulare childs age the crime the background every thing counts and it all means some =thing will difer in the type of trial they get. Some teen's if found capabel are tried as adults but others really can not be tried as adults, your... (more »)

Brittbyheart said...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 10:36 am
I read a lot of your comments, and I love hearing each one's opinion. Now here is mine. I am 15. I was raised with a teenage sister, and a lot of kids in my block. I dont know why, but I was always more grown up then I needed to be (maybe devorce of my parents at the age of 5?) I knew stealing was bad and lying was terrible. So I hardly did them, because when I got caught, even though my punishment wasnt really big, I was extremly disspointed in myself. Now, I see TONS of kids who act like they ... (more »)

violenttiger said...
Children should not be tried as an adult, just because one person knows right from wrong doesn't mean that everyone does, some people have different backrounds.. Maybe they wern't taught. I don't think any kid below twelve should be tried! they dont know what they are doing, and don't know coniquences! Even teens don't always make mature honest desicions... THINK ABOUT IT

new york replied...
to violenttiger... so let say if a 13 year old murder one of your family member the kid will only be locked up only for 5 years do you think that would be enough time for a kid that comitted a first degree murder?

Brittbyheart replied...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 10:26 am

I agrre 100% with this article. I know some cases where a teen murdered someone and faced life in jail, and Im proud to say I'm happy about that. Teens know better. You may say that they dont know better but, really? You have kids and your oldest smacks the youngest accross the head, aare you going to let it slid because "they dont know any better"? Im darn sure thata they DO know better, because Im 15 and ALWAYS smack my sisters haha. Even though its wrong, I do it. I get in trouble and next... (more »)

nessarobin replied...
to new york...no it doesnt make it right or okay that the kid did the crime but then again we are not the judge and we do not know what is goin on in other peoples minds...some people have mental issues

RainyWriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I'm thinking 11 is a little young, maybe 14 or 15.

We're always wanting to be treated like adults, I only think it's fair that if a crime that is so horrendous adults have difficulty dealing with it, should be trialed (is that a word?) like an adult case would. Now there's all that stuff about prefrontal cortex or whatnot in a young person's brain, but if a person is intelligent enought to kill someone and try to cover it up, it's not a matter of brain capacity or reasoning, it'... (more »)

K.M.S.Shear replied...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 7:53 am
i agree with you i know whats right and wrong and still am in my younger teens. I see how inmuture people my age can be. So teens under the age of fifteen should begiven a breack.  

------ said...
I'm 17 and havent committed any crime and I don't believe minors should be tried as adults. Hole in your arguement?

Gigantron replied...
There is absolutely no way you can provide a solid argument with purely anecdotal experience. Your comment thusly is rendered invalid. 

RJ Unicruz said...
Well, as far as I know, teenagers are still classified as premature humans. Although they have the knowledge that committing a crime is a bad thing, they still do it and I agree that they should be punished. But the main question is this: Do we forgive enough? Of course, the answer is a vague "no". Though some people can forgive others, teens are hard to forgive because of there culpability as premature humans, which leads to big questions to how much the punishment would be. For me, the questio... (more »)

i<3soda said...
Well most of teens that do commite murder aren't in the right state of mind when it happens and have been said to have mental issues.

none said...
Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:34 am
In 1993, 2-year-old Jamie Bulger living in Bootle, England, was taken by two 10-year-old boys and was mutilated and murdered.  The two boys then laid his body on a railroad track with the intention of causing substantial injury which would cover up what they had done to the child.  The murderers were tried and convicted as minors and the boys have since been relocated and given new identities. okay so now tell me the an 11 year old wouldnt kill someone? cause im pretty sure that they a... (more »)

Tohruhonda105 said...
Apr. 20, 2011 at 9:05 am
If you agreee with this comment plz comment...GUMMY BEARS AND M&M'S WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!

Tohruhonda105 replied...
Apr. 20, 2011 at 9:06 am
lml (>.<) lml

Archangel1410 said...
I agree and disagree. I agree that teens do think they can get away with most crimes just because they are underage. However being 18 and above in american shows you are an adult. Teens shouldnt be tried as adults because they arent adults. Sometimes people dont know what they are doing. Now what were you thinking when you said eleven and above. I can hardly see and eleven year old in Middle School killing someone. the age should be more like 16 or 15. Not 11 thats stupid. Sorry but thats tooooo... (more »)