Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

PigeonDragons said...
today at 6:53 pm
While you raise many valid points, the system you propose could lead to twelve-year-olds serving decades of jail time. I agree that teenagers are intelligent enough to know right from wrong, but the brain of a fourteen-year-old is vastly different from that of an adult, and it has been proven that teenagers are far more likely to be reckless and more irresponsible than adults.

A.Pride said...
May 28 at 8:20 pm
Why should a 17 year old guy who committed the same felony as a GROWN man of 35 or 40 be tried equally? Honestly, who should know better? Now, by NO means am I saying that teenagers should be let off the hook; no, they MUST be held accountable for such negative actions but age must be taken into consideration, as it is a major influential factor.

Gabby, Giana, Haley said...
Apr. 21 at 7:58 am
We think that teens should be tried as adults because they still know what they're doing and what is right and wrong. If an adult committed the same crime as a teenager, the teenager would get less years in jail just because of their age and that is unfair. Everyone should have an equal punishment.

taytaywilliams52699 said...
It thank teen should be tryed as an adults because they bow right from wroung I am16 and I did not have great childhood but I not killing innocent people even if I don't like the person I would never do that and I know what right I might still be a teenbut teen now thing we r smart

Rainbow_Princess said...
You have a point when my older bro was 13 he was tried as an adult and thrown in jail just because he refused to do the dishes. Old people these days are stupid.

MissEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree with most it. :) Some parts, I'm not sure about and some parts I don't agree. But I agree with most it. I saw danielstock's comment, and I agree with him. You are a talented and wonderful writer and person. You have a talent and greatness in you. Because you are and you do. :) Thank you so much, for sharing this. I'm so glad htis was published; I don't know this was, but congrats! You deserve it. :) Thanks again. 

The_Book_Thief said...
I agree with you in most cases, but I think that teens should be tried as adults, not pre-teens. The punishments should still be raised for severe crimes for pre-teens, but they are not as mature and developed as teenagers. Another thing I would like to disagree on is the idea of the death penalty. I know adults are realisticly sentenced to the death penalty sometimes, but I think pushing that on a teen is too much.

danielsock said...
i agree to a point if they do it the first time it should be a minor charge if they do it any more then it should be a adult charge

joker said...
"Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time"

pizzaface said...
Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:38 am
rayshawn great use of grmmar and spelling! your really making progress!

A.Pride replied...
May 29 at 1:03 am
It's actually: you're*

Sappho said...
Has anyone considered peer pressure. Most of the time, teens are either pressured by the type of people surrounding them a.k.a. friends and family. They commit crimes just to feel accepted by their little groupie or they seek attention from their parents because they are neglected. Also, 11 - 15 year olds getting in prison? Really? That is ridiculous and unreasonable in many ways. Plus many of the reasons these supposed adult crimes where done precisely because of that: adults influenced the men... (more »)

sallysunshing101 replied...
i know right from wrong and even if i was neglected by parents or family, it wouldnt drive me to do something that serious as killing an innocent person.

Kenny! replied...
Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:11 am
You don't understand how abused people feel if you weren't abused yourself, don't judge them...

The_Book_Thief replied...
I think another problem is child abuse, because that is causing some of the violent thinking. Also, kids who have bad influences on other minors should be arrested or something when one who has been influenced by them commits a crime, since they directly influenced the criminal.

ScienceSpiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 24 at 6:08 pm
I don't think incarceration and similar punishments are the most effective ways to deal with criminals, especially adolescents. Adolescents are at both a vulnerable and a malleable age, which means not only are they more susceptible to internal and external pressures (e.g. peer pressure and existential struggle, the latter which can create a "what matters" attitude), but they are also more likely to respond to behavior therapy and counseling to help them deal with their emotions and defiant urg... (more »)

lol18 said...
i think we should be treated as adults because i am not dum enough to not know that commiting a crime has consequences

rayshawn_22 said...
well i think he should be tried as adult cause if you do a adult crime then you should be tried as a adult you are old enough to know right from wrong

mkgfencer replied...
they should also use proper grammar

urbwiz said...
Is this a serious post? 11 year old ought to be tried as adults? This reads as though it was written by an 11 year old. There are DOZENS of studies that show that the human brain isn't finished developing until the mid-20's, and the part of the brain that develops last is the part that evaluates consequences. This is very well documented.  To put it bluntly, most people lack the cognative capacity to reason clearly until they are 23 or so. I was a teen not too long ago, and I re... (more »)