Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

DirtyBirdy35 said...

1. 11 is way to young...

2. What kids do could be because of their home life... if they're under age put them in juvi get the help while they're away from their home life and try to fix it... what's putting them in jail going to do? if they're abused at home they're going to think it's okay and normal... so if they did it to someone and went to jail or something they're going to want to know why the heck they're there...

3. Not all kids are the same... not all kids know right fr... (more »)

ross2444 replied...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 8:37 am :
i agree with dirtybirdy35

PrincetonGirl17 said...
See I dont think most understand the Psychological part of this. My speech teacher mastered in it. She told us that a part of the brain is not formed fulled until the age of 24. Thats what makes people do things they dont know about.

veroshay said...
i tottally agree with this

Hope101 said...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:24 am:
I know that you think that by the time a kid is 11 you should be able to try them in adult court but that is not right. First off people give there opinion so freely when half of the cases people do not know enough about to give there opinion. There are lots of things that people dont know when they say yeah kill the kid or send him to jail because he shot his mom or dad or whatever. But that is only half the story you have no idea why they did it. And yes I do think that it is wrong no matter w... (more »)

itzyy said...
okay all that is right but teens are being punished much harsher than adults!

lizzie12195 said...
I think that all teens who commit a crime should be trialed as an adult bcuz they should know from right and wrong..!

nini replied...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm :
yay yay yay yay yay yay

wisefoolintraining said...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:19 am:
 I agree with part of what you are saying if a juvenille did not know it was wrong to kill someone he can be defined as guilty except insane ,i believe they give minors lighter sentences ,because children  are reformable and often ignorant also its sort of religious like the day when a child realizes he is responsible for his soul and i believe many of those minors can realize that after they are convicted and thus be remormed.also some minors commiting these crimes areinfluenced by ga... (more »)

fungirl replied...
Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:53 am :
I realy agree cuz u just took some one life and now the parent of the victim is diein and i belive they should be sent to adult jail or court

writingmagic26 said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 11:57 am:
hmmm, good point.

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I totally agree with you nicely written!!!! :D

I totally agree with your article!!!!! :D

sorryaboutthis said...

PLEASE DON'T READ THIS. YOU WILL BE KISSED ON THE NEAREST FRIDAY BY THE ONE YOU LOVE. NOW YOU'VE STARTED READING THIS SO DON'T STOP.

THIS IS REALLY FREAKY!!!

1)say your name 10 times

2)say your mom's name 5 times

3)say your crush's name 3 times

4)paste this on 4 other posts. if you do this your crush will kiss you on the nearest friday. if you don't do this after reading this you will get bad luck

send this to 4 other post in 143 minutes when done pre... (more »)

tweetiebruce replied...
Nov. 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm :
why are you doing this? It is rude to the person whose writing this is that you post something liek this. I can't believe this is happening within Teen Ink now, its absolutely crazy! :(

Ekf07 said...
i agree that they should be tried as adults. they know whats going on. there not idiots.

cefluvr43vr said...
Nov. 24, 2011 at 10:04 am:
i agree with you but eleven seems a bit too young to me i would've said 13

writingmagic26 replied...
Nov. 24, 2011 at 1:46 pm :
That's what I was going to say when I read it!  That's typically what age is considered "teen."  Either that, or once they get into high school.

OceanFey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 24, 2011 at 8:00 pm :
Some kids go to high school at later ages due to failing grades and some start doing bad things way earlier than high school.

writingmagic26 replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm :

ooops, meant to post (above) down here.

That's a good point OceanFey.   I think if they do "bad things" under fourteen they should be punished as children, but the resposibility would also fall on the paretns for not keeping them in line.  I mean, if they are that young and doing bad things, their parents are obviously too busy to pay attention to them or spend time with them.  I mean  things like murder and like REEAALLY bad fealonies should be treated as adul... (more »)