Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

Lucariojf said...
this person obvisously didn't read the article in the New York Times kids who are in adult prisons and get out are 30 percent more likely to do another crime sooner and more violently adult prisons don't help reduce crime it increases adult prison is a school for crime not a place to be Scared Striaght 
Joeyjo2468 replied...
Can you post a link of that article please?
StevenJLong13 said...
Nov. 1, 2012 at 11:19 am
Most would agree with that, but how many people have had very rough childhoods and have never commited a crime in their life. I feel all parents should have to take some kind of a parenting class. Some parents today spoil their kids way too much, leave them alone in the house at young ages, too much sex and violence being shown on tv, I can tell you from personal expirience that alot of people today do not sensor the internet connection on their chilldrens devices. I could be 8 years old right n... (more »)
MarieAntoinette2012 replied...
Why are you blaming the media for parent's of these children's failures? I watched public television with all the crime shows about murder from a young age, and never, have I ever seriously considered comitting a crime of any sort. I live in a poor county with a lot of crime, and most times, the criminals are being raised by people who committed the same crimes when they were young, and quite frankly, still are committing those crimes. Parents: get a grip on your kids and quit blaming th... (more »)
hi, get out said...
i agree but the punishment shouldn't be something like death if they want to kill send 'em off to war.
NIKIKI said...
Sept. 4, 2012 at 2:51 am
I lAb U yeyeyeyeyey....
DreamingOutQuiet said...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:36 am
This is such a good point. Once I read an arcticle that was complaining about a 14 year old being tried as an adult, because he didn't know he was doing anything wrong. I could of told anyone way before 14 that raping and beating someone isnt the morale way to go. I mean what the what??
dinotron said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:13 am
Most people say that teens should be able to cumit crimes and not be tride as adults that is why I agree that teens should be punished for the crime they cumite  (^^^)
lol18 replied...
most people do think that so they can learn from there mistakes but if they already know its wrong then they should not do it
dinotron said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:11 am
Most people say that teens should be able to cumit crimes and not be tride as adults that is why I agree that teens should be punished for the crime they cumite 
TinkerBell;P said...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:29 am
I totally agree because teens dont even take it seriously,Because they feel like since there young they wont treat them like adults .
eshsgirl2012 said...
So, I'm reading this write now because I have to do a research paper on "Should children who commit certain crimes be treated as adults? If so, is there a lower age limit to this policy?" I'm 17. At age 10 I knew it was wrong to kill. Nobody can say otherwise. Parents all teach their kids when young it's wrong to hit someone. As they get older, parents teach them it's wrong to hurt around age 8-10. At age 10, I was told, it is wrong to kill and hurt someone sexually, etc. (I was taught all this ... (more »)
ChickenLegHouse replied...
Sept. 28, 2012 at 9:13 am
But what if they were never tought it was wrong?
fairness said...

Children are killed by children. Teens are killed by teens. and still we refuse to punish them because they are too young to understand that what they are doing is wrong. It's an excuse too often heard after lives are lost and ruined. Without a tougher punishment system, society is left with a high percentage of delinquents and a rising percentage of crime victimes. 

But I wonder how many supports of "not wanting to tried juveniles as adults" would still be supporters if one of th... (more »)

peopleunder18 replied...
I'm doing a research paper about juvenile & i disagree kids should not be tried as adults it don't matter if they know Whats wrong & Whats right their still just kids. If u diagree u can just shove it up your ass!
aurora replied...
Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:00 am
Wow, good one.
fairness said...

The juvenile court was created to handle juvenile’s offenders on the base of their youth rather than their crimes committed. However, studies have shown that youth today are taking advantage of this lenient and outdated system and are committing violent crimes because they believe they will get off easy. United states must hold criminals accountable- regardless of their age- and impose a tough punishment system. To that end, juveniles should sometimes be tried as adults. It's not a war ... (more »)

MARC said...
Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:47 am
I agree with this article up to a certain point. 11 years old is to young, I would understand 13 or 14 year olds. But it also depends on the crime they commit.
FaithElizabeth said...
I do not agree. Teens should not be tried as adults. I see where you are coming from, and I have had crimes committed agenst me by teenagers, believe me I’d like them to be tried as adults out of anger. But we are all not the same, be intelligent enough to understand this. Though many of us are fortunate to understand right from wrong, a lot can not. Like dirtybirdy35 said, it can have a lot to do with your home life aswell. Kbye.
MellyBelly said...
I don't agree with being 11 and tried as an adult. 13 or 14 seems more appropriate but I agree with you on the tougher sentences for those who are close to 18 but still get lighter sentences for killing someone.