Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

YungB said...
im fifteen years old constantly breaking laws. if you think 11 years or older should be tried as adults, then treat us like adults. No curfew, let them buy tabbacco. you cant punish a teen as an adult if you dont treat them as one

hhhged replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 8:30 am :

why do you need to do that? you are a teen not an adult and if you do something wrong you should be tried the same way because it's against the law

brittneyy324 replied...
Dec. 16, 2011 at 8:13 am :
I agree with YungB. If they want to try us as adults, we should have the same freedoms. We should be able to own property (with morgage, etc.), smoke, and have no curfew. Does that sound reasonable? Not likely. You would say what, "They are to young to handle that freedom"? Well, I think it should all go hand in hand. It makes sense to me- Be tried as an adult, give us the privileges as one too.

bobwefrwerfw said...
cool story bro

LalaBaby87 said...
i believe that they should be tried as an adult because 11 year olds  and up know whats  wrong and right also. there was and article about a 14 year killing his english teacher. now what reason was that for? he knew exactly what he was doing. and then there was 2 10 year old boys who went to the mall and seen a 2 year old lil boy. kidnapped him and took him somewhere so they can be alone. tortured and sexually assaulted then murdering the 2 year old. now can anyone tell me 2 10 year... (more »)

SubtleMeaning said...
Well, if a child takes a life, it's only natural that his/her's should be taken away as well. Though, "if someone's too young to drink or buy cigarettes, they're too young to be sent to jail for the rest of their life."

garthgirl8888 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
However, studies have shown that many teens don't have the necessary brain function to make mature decisons the way adults do. There are always exceptions, and you are obviously one of them. Most of the people on this site probably are. However, many kids aren't like us and might make an impulsive decsion that they would regret later simply because their pre-frontal cortex isn't operating the way it will be in a few years.

Maggie replied...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm :
You have a great point. I think that teens should have a fair trial, but that their punishments should (usually) be a little less severe than it is for most adults.

Rein_Soprano said...

Yes we should be tried as adults. Murder is murder. THough there should be an investigation of the cause. In self defence or ignorance a child/teen should be sent to juvinile delinquence center.

there was a boy who didn't like a girl he shot her he was 5. This is the fault of the parent for having a gun not stowed out of harms way and full cocked gun in the hand of a child is leathal.

Sexyy Beast!! said...
Blahhhhh!your all wrong!!:{)

spadeOfhearts replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm :
screw you. first off, noone's going to ask you what you think because who wants to talk to such shallow, conceited people? and second, are yu one of those teens who commit crimes? bcuz this essay proves a great point about how teens like yu are being carelessly stupid when it comes to behavior and actions.

kem86 replied...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm :
Both of you would be taken more seriously if you spelled correctly and had a better understanding of the English language.  "Sexyy Beast"- It's you're, as in "you are." "Spade of Hearts" - it only takes a few second longer to write out that "o" in "you" and the word "because" rather than bcuz.

Naomi518 said...
the thing is, people under 18 are still required to have an education. that's why they are sent to juvie (at least where I'm from)

spadeOfhearts replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm :
yeah thats true. btw yur profile picture is disturbing and should be changed immediately

Naomi518 replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 5:28 pm :
...that's a picture of me...are you calling me disturbing? I take offence to that

spadeOfhearts replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 5:45 pm :
no it looks like someone is kissing yur neck. im sorry to offend you but hey, it offended me too (hem hem)

Naomi518 replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm :
nope. just me.

spadeOfhearts replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm :
Oh. Sorry then :'(

RuLiZ18 said...
I think that they should be tried as an adult because even tho they are a teen they should the between right and wrong.

DirtyBirdy35 replied...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm :
you might want to learn how to talk before you comment