Toothpick

SaskiaHarpe
Toothpick
Summary: Ben is an autistic teenager who lives with his mother. He arrives home one day to find that his young cousin has ruined the elaborate toothpick zoo that he had spent many years creating. He is so angry, he grabs the boy around the neck and squeezes until pried loose. He is reported to the authorities by his aunt and made to leave home and attend a school which will help him deal with his condition. While there he meets a new friend, Sadie.
Sadie is at the school because she is bi-polar. She has been there for many years, and shows Ben all the tricks. She discovers his great talent for using toothpicks to make animals and encourages him to create them again. They become best friends and start to fall in love. But, Sadie also has a dark secret.

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

SoGrace said...
Nov. 22, 2016 at 9:07 am
good job!!!!!!

Tafkas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What a marvelous book! This was really well-written. I love how consistent you kept your characters - and Ben - Ben was so endearing. The ending was wonderful - I read the whole book in one sitting. I wish there were even more! Great job!