The New Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

The bell rings, and the class piles in. Maybe if I don’t move, they won’t see me. Oh, well, it was a nice try. Everyone stares like I’m some kind of alien.

This weird girl walks in and says, “Hi, my name is Alicia.”

“Um, I’m Annie,” I say.

She makes a really weird face and says, “Hi, Annie. You can sit with us at lunch today if you want.”

What a dork …

Maybe this new school won’t be so bad after all.

mrsabbyjonas13 said...
I just moved to a new school this year, so I know the feeling of the teacher treating you way-too-nice and people staring. But I love your writing style; and the ending! Funny! :)

coolho cool said...
hey i so know that felling it feels like you are the weard kid and everyone looks at you

vivaladolce said...
Jul. 11, 2009 at 2:20 am
fun! I am actually in the middle of moving. I am so afraid to start at a new school. Even though I have moved SO many times. I am worried but thanks to your story maybe now it won't be too bad. Thanks!

Valkyrie_123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 22, 2009 at 6:50 am
this is so sweet and funny at the same time nice work

hardyharhar said...
SO GOOD i love raeding stories that i can GET, ya kNoWA? not to long but still good;; luvit.

14Shanabug said...
kewl story ive been a new kid b4 i have tons of frands now sometimes moving is the best kind of change someone needs

kaytay said...
Dec. 28, 2008 at 12:02 am
omg, i know what you mean. when I moved to my new school, i wondered what the teacher had told the whole class about me and stuff. wow i can really connect with this story, nice job.

Chérie said...
Dec. 23, 2008 at 12:31 am
wow, i havemoved eleven times and im only fourteen and because both of my parents are in the army so i totally get what she is feeling. i really like this story--it's nice, but not too long either.

eric said...
u r so right it iz hard to move and FIVE times iz hard. i have moved 7 times in my life and its hard making new friends

ohmaria said...
this is good i get what the girl is feeling you have a very nice style.

Bella said...
When i read this i connected to the story imedeatly

misss.smithe said...
I really enjoyed this piece. There is definitely a distinguished sound about your voice. I predict great things for you. Keeeeeep writin'!

alaevie:] said...
i like ur style. its fun 2 read.

Lonelymaiden said...
Oct. 2, 2008 at 1:15 am
I know what that girl is feeling. I have been to ten different schools and i am only in eleventh grade. I love how you translated all the girls feelings into words. I really did not think it could be done. (I tried writing about my own experience.) Anyways GREAT job. Keep on writing.

jamesbond said...
cool, u have a good style

Tweedle Dee said...
hey, i've felt that way 4 times now so i loved this... brings back good (and bad lol) memories! ha ha great job!

funnylilbunny! said...
great style. =)i enjoyed reading this wish i could write like that.

guitarsrock1233 said...
well i have just moved to a new town n i dont know a sole. this totolly makes me feel better thunkx moch:)

Xanime_chicaX said...
This is great, I love the way you put your feelings into words.

kayla a. said...
haha, totally. i have moved five times and this says it all. wow, you definitely have some talent, girl! well nice job i really like this.