The New Girl | Teen Ink

The New Girl MAG

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

The bell rings, and the class piles in. Maybe if I don’t move, they won’t see me. Oh, well, it was a nice try. Everyone stares like I’m some kind of alien.

This weird girl walks in and says, “Hi, my name is Alicia.”

“Um, I’m Annie,” I say.

She makes a really weird face and says, “Hi, Annie. You can sit with us at lunch today if you want.”

What a dork …

Maybe this new school won’t be so bad after all.

Lolaroo22 said...
Lolaroo22, New York, New York
I think the people who find this offensive fail to recognize the irony and childlike thinking being portrayed here

I loved this piece, its incredibly moving and creative!

John007Niuvao, Sacramento, California
“The New Girl” the thing I like about your story is that you took what the other students would think about the new girl. You didn’t just focus on her, you expanded it.

eitbse@ew BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
“The New Girl” the thing I like about your story is that captured what the other students would think about the new girl. You didn’t just focus on her, you expanded it.

LittleRedDeliriousPrince SILVER, Parma Heights, Ohio
It was different, not necessarily in a good or bad way. The under-lying description of your anxiety and worries was interesting and not often seen, but the negativity is predominant and upsetting. If you start another new school, I'll tell you not to worry. I'm in my seventh school as a freshman.

Cameron202 said...
on Jan. 23 2015 at 10:45 am
Cameron202, Easley, South Carolina
It was different.

delilah_manhatten SILVER, Chester, Montana

They love to tell you stay inside the lines but something's better on the other side. Johnaten Mayer

I don't think this article is stereotypical. I think it shows how terrible seterotypes are and how we should'nt follow them. By calling  Alicia whose trying to be friendly, "the weird girl", the main charater, looks like a jerk, not Alicia, therefore the sterotype in this piece insults the main charater. Also, sterotypes are abundant in high school, and through their sterotype the writer expresses real life. Remember this is a personal narritive form only the main charaters ponit of veiw and that's not necessarily what the writer agrees with.

TrishHastings BRONZE, San Juan, Other

Don't Confuse your Path with Your Destination. Just because it's Stormy, does not Mean you're not Headed for Sunshine

It's not that bad, but the negativity kills me. Try writting something more positive. Even a second part to this article might be good...

McDevitt BRONZE, Greentown, Pennsylvania
When i saw this story i see my brother in this child's shoes. I see him comeing back from school in tears because evrybody thought he talked funny or he looked stupid. I felt so sorry for him. Then i had a talk to him and hehad a new attitude about life. He said so what if you dont like me you dont have any impact on my life. This is what i see here in this story a chid who has braces and is afaid to show people the real person they are. So i say dont be afraid just be yourself.

destiny18 BRONZE, Greentown, Pennsylvania

'dont judge a book by its cover'

I think just by reading this. never be negative. You might feel weird being in a new school, but that doesnt mean no one likes you, or thinks you are a freak. Try talking with people and introducing yourself to them. You can't always have someone come up to you, you make the first step in a new school.

'dont judge a book by its cover'

I think just by reading this, never think negative.

write_to_express16 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

"If you really put a small value upon yourself, rest assured that the world will not raise your price."

"Never dull your shine for somebody else."

I completely agree with you, Infact I was offended while reading this. The one girl who came up to you and was friendly, you call weird. Would you rather everyone ignore you? But anyways, I completely agree that this piece is offensive in many ways. 

Pure_Serendipity GOLD, Maywood, Missouri

"The way a clown does their makeup may not be what they want to look like, it just might be what they feel. Don’t judge people by their outside. Look through the mask and seek whats inside."
-Lauren Treutel

I don't like this. It's way too stereotypical. It honestly offends me. Many people reading this are those people who do have a dead dad, or have allergies, or are called the weird kid. You are saying that you don't want to be picked on when that is all you are doing in this peice of writing, you are picking on others. 

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

I don't know, I didn't find it all that striking.. I reread it to make sure I wasn't missing anything but I still wasn't amazed. I feel like it was just a little too stereotypical for my personal liking. I did like the part where you said the teacher made her sound like some kind of freak, which has weird allergies, whose dad just died so everyone should be nice to her. That was a unique sentence; I smiled when I read it. But most of the other lines, I just felt like I'd read them before. And then, the ending was kind of abrupt. The new girl judged the other girl so quickly I thought she being a bit rude and that she wouldn't like her, she even called her a dork. But then she said the school might not be so bad after all. I don't know, it just was a bit odd to me. Again, I feel like there was great potential, you seem like an all-in-all talented writer, maybe just hone in on your ability to drive a point home? Then again I could just be completely wrong in my understanding of the story. Please don’t take my criticism personally, it is meant solely as that, (positive) criticism.

HeartBreaker2010 SILVER, El Paso, Texas
There should have been more to the story. It got intresting but then you stopped.

makya aursby said...
on Jan. 8 2013 at 10:50 am
makya aursby, Newport News, Virginia
this person she calls a dork happens to be a person she could call her friend not many kids will do what that girl did g

amrex13 GOLD said...
amrex13 GOLD, Patchogue, New York
I like how it was simplistic, but had great content. It's easy to relate to and is well written for all readers. It's great

Denniser83 said...
I have also. Its so awkward..

bluhs said...
bluhs, E, Alabama
I can totally identify with this: I've moved 4 times so far and am moving again in August. I've never made a friend as fast as you did in this story. I loved your story though.

Joele15 said...
on Jun. 29 2012 at 3:51 am

I loathe being the new girl I changed at least 8 schools in the past 6 years and i get new friends and as soon as i get comfortable i go to a new one.

Anyways your story is awesome.