The New Girl | Teen Ink

The New Girl MAG

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

The bell rings, and the class piles in. Maybe if I don’t move, they won’t see me. Oh, well, it was a nice try. Everyone stares like I’m some kind of alien.

This weird girl walks in and says, “Hi, my name is Alicia.”

“Um, I’m Annie,” I say.

She makes a really weird face and says, “Hi, Annie. You can sit with us at lunch today if you want.”

What a dork …

Maybe this new school won’t be so bad after all.

on Nov. 27 2010 at 9:46 pm
TheAsianHeather SILVER, Wuhan, Other

It is no longer I that live,but Christ living in me.-The Apostle Paul

The way this person feels is just like the way I felt on my first day of sixth grade.I had just moved to the state at the end of fifth grade and hardly knew anyone.Going to a new middle school with people I hardly knew made me feel like a freak.

alienag said...
on Nov. 25 2010 at 7:58 pm
alienag, Sugar Land, Texas
i like the ambiguity of this writing. it made me snort, in an ironic way...

cman 31 said...
on Oct. 19 2010 at 12:52 pm
good story everyone should do what Alicia did but kinda short :p

sally said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:30 pm
It was really cool how the narator's perspective changes as the story goes on.

Mr. BOb said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 5:44 pm
Thst is really cool. I think she really is a hero also. Not very many people would do that.

Colorfull said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 3:57 pm
ok i see how "Alicia" is the hero. but what made her the hero?

Taylor Swift said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 2:12 pm
HOW IS THIS A HERO ARTICLE????

on Oct. 13 2010 at 2:09 pm
I think that this story is touching.  It reminds me of when it was my first day in kindergarten.

Charming said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 2:07 pm
I totally understand what your saying I just moved fromTexas and I totaslly feel left out.

on Oct. 13 2010 at 2:01 pm
You had a lot of voice in your article. Especially at the beginning when you were describing the conversation with your techer. I liked it a lot!

on Oct. 13 2010 at 2:01 pm
i thought that this was an inspiring story and im so glad that the girls were nice to you!(:

bloggerII said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 11:17 am
i think it is veryy nice of you to help out the new girl

dana02 said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:23 am
I don't think it's nice to judge people by how they look because no one ever looks alike

THE KEEPER said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:20 am
i like the way you express yourself. i wonder how the new kids at my school feels..... good story

google said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 9:30 am
I liked how you told your enviorment and exactly how you were feeling at the time!

columbine said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 9:30 am
i think its ufair to judge people by the way they look. your teacher didnt even give you a chance

on Oct. 13 2010 at 9:24 am
I kind of like it when you are new to a place or environment because you can kind of recreate yourself. You have a clean sheet, well maybe.

bubbles said...
on Sep. 26 2010 at 9:05 pm
Good luck, I've been "new girl" before (many times) and you really just have to be a little outgoing, (which can be hard) and you should make lots of friends, but don't forget your old ones. 

on Sep. 22 2010 at 9:21 pm
BaileyBaby13 BRONZE, Enumclaw, Washington
i loved this. i'll be the new girl in a few months, i'm hoping it will be this easy to find somewhere to eat at lunch! haha i really like the ending too. keep it up!,(:

on Sep. 22 2010 at 9:20 pm
firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
i like it. i've been the 'new girl' too, and its not fun.  this is in nonfiction... so if it really is real then i'm really, really, really, sorry about your dad.  hang in there.