Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

JamieNicole said...
Amazing I loved it!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm :
Thank you! :)         

StarChild said...
At first I was skeptical on wether I should keep reading the story. However I did enjoy how you mentioned free will. Keep writing!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

KendisPiper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like how you are predicting our world will end, it was entertaining, but the build up seemed very casual to me

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm :
Thanks for the comment!  And the build-up was supposed to seem casual.  I like to tackle world issues with a bit of humour.

BeyondTheBrooke said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:17 am:
oh goodness its not what i expected at all. lol. very good keep writing hahahahahaha... ALIEN!!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:18 am :
Thanks for commenting!

Eastep said...

I had to stop reading halfway through the story, because I was laughing so hard.

Aliens controlling us? That's what I've suspected all along!

Anyways, the story is very well written, with no mistakes at all. Your writing is very crisp, clean, and more importantly, powerful.

As was said before, you manage to take world issues and show them in what I thought was light-heartedness, but turned out not to be in the closing paragraph.

Please, keep up the good work, and k... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:02 pm :
Thanks for commenting!  :)  I'm glad it made you laugh.

LifesIllusion said...
I really liked this piece. Especially the twist at the end. I took this as a light hearted story until I read the last paragragh. You very subtly intertwined very serious world issuses into your story. I don't think I could ever write it with such ease like you seem to. Nevertheless, you are very talented at writing! :) Keep it up!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm :
Thanks! :)  I'm glad my writing came off as effortless; it really is that way for me.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
I actually liked this a lot :) I'm not that into history (which is why I couldn't appreciate the Cleopatra stories), but this kind of stuff is cool

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 5:11 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

Afanen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Sometimes I wish aliens really were controlling all of us, because I really hate knowing that our leaders are this terrible at leading. Funny with a bite. 

(Completely off topic: Oh my god, you're a Merlin fan too! Hi!)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:02 am :
Thanks for commenting! :)  And yeah, I'm a Merlin fan as well.

AnimaCordis said...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 10:59 am:

Interesting idea, I like it! I like your use of diolog in the middle, that's nice. I also like your ideas about the apocolipce, it's sad but somehow has the ring of truth.

PS: I'm one of the aliens! XD

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

IceFox416 said...

Love it! Started out really great and funny, and you managed to bring something serious into the end without ruining the whole humorous mood. Great job!

5/5

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 14, 2011 at 7:12 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)