Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

satellite23 said...
Very interesting idea, and i liked the political bash at the end. It was, in a way, 'punk,' which i love writing and reading about. It was just a bit too short and felt like there was something missing.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm :
Thanks for the thoughtful comment! :) I appreciate your take on it, especially since I didn't intentionally write it to be 'punk.'

WolfofDarkness said...
This was very interesting. Makes me wonder if we really are being controlled by aliens. Good job.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

Jetsrock10210 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Intriguing plot, great use of metaphor to eventually come up with a striking thesis. Keep up the good work! :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

emma88 said...
really creative and a great idea

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:17 pm :
Thank you very much! :)

ShayleeMarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Interesting. Almost creepy, like the part about paranoid world leaders.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:23 pm :
Thanks! :)

Angaliene said...
THIS IS SO WEIRD....I love it. Five stars.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 7:30 pm :
Thanks very much! :)

writersrevenge said...
That's really different. Please continue the story because you left it a perfect opportunity to start a great story.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 25, 2011 at 7:04 pm :
Thank you for commenting! :) I'm sorry, but I'm not going to continue this story.

Malsie8 said...
So, I must admit, I am not a huge science fiction fan here, but this was actually quite different and therefore didn't bore me as science ficition usually does! It definitely sounds like it could be an intro to a novel, and a good novel at that! I'd be interested to see you take it further and into the realms of a book? just my suggestion:D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 23, 2011 at 7:21 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :) But no, this won't ever be a novel.

Turbocharger said...
That's different. I like it.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 23, 2011 at 1:07 pm :
Thanks for commenting!

RockerChic22 said...
this story was really fun to read good job

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm :
Thanks for commenting!