Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

Ariya said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:24 pm:
This was really good!  I love that story line that our actions aren't our own and I would love it if you expanded and made a short story or something.   

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 9:02 pm :
Thanks for the comment! :)  But no, I'm not expanding upon this.

Regia said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm:
This was an absolutely BRILLIANT, and I mean brilliant, story idea, but you definitely need to work on making it more of a story than just telling us what happened. This style is good for some things, like writing essays, but I think that maybe you should try a more "taking the reader to the scene and letting them see it for themselves" approach. If you don't want to do this, it's your own story, and it's really good just the way it is, but just as something to think about. Other than tha... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm :
Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Jade B. said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 11:43 pm:
Wow, that totally just blew my mind

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:58 am :
Thank you! :)

TheLiberalist said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm:
Brilliant!!! 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 4:50 pm :
Thanks for commenting!

CassieTheSpartan said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:15 pm:
Wow, This was indeed a wonderful idea. You should expand on it, really there is so much depth waiting to be written here. I have to say great great piece of writing. :) I can't wait to see if you take it farther. :D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 7:56 am :
Thank you very much! :)  But I'm not going to expand on it.

rockhead said...
Feb. 17, 2012 at 5:23 pm:
This is a really nice piece. I love the little blub idea. Give this idea to anyone and it can go far and I like where you took it. The end is what made me like it so much. It seemed comical in the beginning but then became serious and it pointed out what our world is coming to and tests people to do something.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:04 am :
Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment! :)  I was going for a comical beginning, but a somewhat serious ending with some meaning to it.  That's just how I write; I try to add humour, but with a meaning.

KrystalT replied...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:08 pm :
And you did so splendidly!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:15 pm :
Thank you!

Lillie M. said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:16 am:
I'm sorry for being creepy and commenting on all your work, but you're just so good xD This piece really made me laugh and think of the show Ancient Aliens that comes on the History Channel. That and The Matrix. Yeah, really good piece.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:05 am :
No, it's not creepy at all! :) I'm glad you enjoy my work so much.

Alexxxxx said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:31 am:
Cool idea! It made me think about what it would be like for a person to meet the alien that controls him or her. I like the ending - very dramatic and abrupt. You should write more!!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 8:00 am :
Thanks for taking the time to comment! :) I'm sorry to say I'm not expanding upon this idea, though. It's just a one-time thing.

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awesome idea. I mean, it's terrifying, but it's really interesting. Great piece of writing!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 5:43 pm :
Thank you very much! :)

jojo3 said...
This was a very interesting concept that really got me thinking, and the ending was partly plausible. There's a good chance that IS how our world could end, and i liked how all the events in the story basically led up to that. awesome!