Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aha! This wouldn't surprise me if this was happening already!  This probably happened during WW1.. 

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:54 am :
Haha! You're welcome! :)

RandiRose said...
Fantastic idea!!!! I would have never thought of that! Will you please check out my writing? I would love some feedback.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm :
I'm glad you liked it! :)  However, I am not active on Teen Ink any longer and have no time to check out your work.

SetiziaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Gosh, you seem to have read my mind completely. Several days ago I was comtemplating the same exact idea, except without the apolcolyptic debate. But other than that, terrific tone, straightforward, firm, yet familiar. Also, unlike other articles, I needed no further explanation of events :D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:33 pm :
Thank you very much!  I guess I touched on a subject a lot of people contemplate.

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Amazing work! I never see unique work and plots, but i loved this. =)You dont have to, but if you have time, mind reading my poem "Boomerang"? Once again, I love your work. gr8 job

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:14 pm :
Thanks for the comment!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

MorenSore said...
Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:07 pm:
Hi Carrie Ann, you just blew my mind, in more ways than one.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:44 am :
Uh, thanks?  That sounds good.

albinotiger said...
Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm:
lol that is so funny :D I love it (any aliens reading this please leave me with a happily ever after) and maybe check out my work sometime

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:44 am :
Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm:
Haha Carrie Ann, I didn't know you were this famous! XD This piece had caught my eye because it kind of goes along with one of my pieces ("The Interview," if you're curious), about the relationships between characters and their Creators. We each explained it a bit differently, but I thought it was cool how our ideas were kinda related. Anywau, nice job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
May 19, 2012 at 7:58 pm :
Haha, thanks leafy.  I wouldn't call myself 'famous', though.  ;)  Thanks for commenting!

fanglover101 said...
wow you are the best writter and i thought i may be good but you your great

CarrieAnn13 replied...
May 1, 2012 at 12:06 am :
You're too kind! :)  Thank you so much for commenting and making my day.

Ariya said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:24 pm:
This was really good!  I love that story line that our actions aren't our own and I would love it if you expanded and made a short story or something.   

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 9:02 pm :
Thanks for the comment! :)  But no, I'm not expanding upon this.

Regia said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm:
This was an absolutely BRILLIANT, and I mean brilliant, story idea, but you definitely need to work on making it more of a story than just telling us what happened. This style is good for some things, like writing essays, but I think that maybe you should try a more "taking the reader to the scene and letting them see it for themselves" approach. If you don't want to do this, it's your own story, and it's really good just the way it is, but just as something to think about. Other than tha... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm :
Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Jade B. said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 11:43 pm:
Wow, that totally just blew my mind