Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

Pegasisus said...
Omigod, is it weird that I think this exact same thing every day??  Really great story, by the way. :3

CarrieAnn13 replied...
It sounds like everyone secretly suspects this.  It's not just you!  Thanks for commenting. :)

xBaByGiRrL22x said...
Oct. 29, 2012 at 11:30 am
This is an awesome idea. I love how everythings flows and fits. You're a very good writer and this even had me thinking. I loved the "Let's give the world leaders bad cases of paranoia". ;) great job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Somehow I don't think world leaders need aliens to give them paranoia.  Anyway, thanks for commenting!

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aha! This wouldn't surprise me if this was happening already!  This probably happened during WW1.. 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Of course it's not happening now.  And of course aliens aren't making me write that... ;)  Thanks for the comment!

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:54 am
Haha! You're welcome! :)

RandiRose said...
Fantastic idea!!!! I would have never thought of that! Will you please check out my writing? I would love some feedback.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
I'm glad you liked it! :)  However, I am not active on Teen Ink any longer and have no time to check out your work.

SetiziaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Gosh, you seem to have read my mind completely. Several days ago I was comtemplating the same exact idea, except without the apolcolyptic debate. But other than that, terrific tone, straightforward, firm, yet familiar. Also, unlike other articles, I needed no further explanation of events :D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you very much!  I guess I touched on a subject a lot of people contemplate.

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Amazing work! I never see unique work and plots, but i loved this. =)You dont have to, but if you have time, mind reading my poem "Boomerang"? Once again, I love your work. gr8 job

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for the comment!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

MorenSore said...
Hi Carrie Ann, you just blew my mind, in more ways than one.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:44 am
Uh, thanks?  That sounds good.

albinotiger said...
lol that is so funny :D I love it (any aliens reading this please leave me with a happily ever after) and maybe check out my work sometime

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:44 am
Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Haha Carrie Ann, I didn't know you were this famous! XD This piece had caught my eye because it kind of goes along with one of my pieces ("The Interview," if you're curious), about the relationships between characters and their Creators. We each explained it a bit differently, but I thought it was cool how our ideas were kinda related. Anywau, nice job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Haha, thanks leafy.  I wouldn't call myself 'famous', though.  ;)  Thanks for commenting!

fanglover101 said...
wow you are the best writter and i thought i may be good but you your great