Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect MAG

February 10, 2009
By Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 838 comments.


on Apr. 2 2011 at 2:23 pm
Yousmell-likealoser BRONZE, Belgium, Wisconsin
4 articles 5 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life may not always be what you want, but life is all you've got; so stick a flower in your bellybutton and be happy!"

I love this, and it really makes you think. I've read this over a few times before. 
My boyfriend has cancer and I can really feel the way the characters in the story do because of it. Thank you for the great story :)

on Apr. 2 2011 at 10:25 am
tennisplayergirl GOLD, Arrington, Virginia
10 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"He who will not risk cannot win." John Paul Jones

At first I thought this was a story about an eating disorder, but near the end I started to get that it was about cancer. Really good job, I love it!

Karlen. SILVER said...
on Apr. 2 2011 at 9:15 am
Karlen. SILVER, Holmdel, New Jersey
6 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten." -Natasha Beddingfield, 'Unwritten'

this is amazing! At the beginning, I didn't know what you were trying to lead up to. But all great writers have the ability to keep people reading and you certainly did so. Well done, I look forward to reading more.

on Apr. 2 2011 at 6:33 am
HorseLover SILVER, Dallas, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A boat is safe in the harbor. But this is not the purpose of a boat."~Paulo Coelho, author of The Alchemist

At the beginning, I really didn't know where you were going with this--then I started to get it. Amazing job!! I've never read anything like this!

Fate98 GOLD said...
on Apr. 2 2011 at 5:28 am
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other
11 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life isn’t about how popular you are… What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts.. and our minds. This is the reason we sing.. this is the reason we cry… this is why we live." - Andy six"

wow this is so good. i loved it. At first i didn't know where it was going when you said she has so many brusies, it wasn't where i thought it was going. Very very well done

Alia_Tan GOLD said...
on Mar. 27 2011 at 11:32 pm
Alia_Tan GOLD, Elk Grove, California
15 articles 0 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I gotta right to sing the blues/
gotta right to moan and sigh/
I gotta right to sit and cry" From "I gotta right to sing the blues" By Louis Armstrong

I loved the story! It was kind of like suspensful in a way, even though it was so short. At first, you can only guess why shes worried about her complexion so much and why she has so many brusies. And at the end, the story swiftly changes from wonder to sympathy. I loved your story :) Great job!

Qbaby BRONZE said...
on Mar. 23 2011 at 4:00 pm
Qbaby BRONZE, Valrico, Florida
2 articles 2 photos 1 comment
This is like my 5th time reading this . It's GREAT !:)

Sandra said...
on Mar. 15 2011 at 9:36 am
I love this story! So interesting and amazing! Good word choice!

on Mar. 14 2011 at 6:25 pm
rubyrainstorm SILVER, Closter, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 275 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
-Buddha.

This was a well written piece, and it had so much emotion behind it. I can definitely relate to this. My mom has cancer, and I haven't told anyone I know yet. I don't want pity glances and sympathy hugs. I want people to like me because I'm me. I loved this piece. Please write more, I'd love to read more articles from you. This article was an eye opener and brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful8)

on Mar. 11 2011 at 8:13 pm
cascadeblanche BRONZE, Winder, Georgia
1 article 2 photos 6 comments
I can so relate to this. I have lupus, and I get the same treatment as cancer- chemotherapy. I know how it's like to try to hide what I have. This story is marvelous. :)

PJD17 SILVER said...
on Mar. 11 2011 at 3:48 pm
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois
8 articles 0 photos 624 comments

Favorite Quote:
I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

I thought that story was excellent. very well written

Hover BRONZE said...
on Mar. 11 2011 at 3:00 pm
Hover BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 85 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sophistication isn't what you wear or who you know
Or pushing people down to get you where you wanna go
They didn't teach you that in prep school, so it's up to me,
But no amount of vintage dresses gives you dignity.
~Taylor Swift
*Defy Gravity!*

I love this so much in a "I want to cry" sort of way. Great job! :')

Jayanna SILVER said...
on Mar. 11 2011 at 2:25 pm
Jayanna SILVER, Quebec, Other
7 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
Well behaved women rarely make history,

Everything happens for a reason

wow. Great job:) I loved your introduction! You're gifted,  :)

Fran94 SILVER said...
on Mar. 11 2011 at 1:46 pm
Fran94 SILVER, Hayward, California
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you are content with being yourself and never compete or compare, everyone will respect you."
-Laotzu

Great story! I love the imagery in this story. The story is pretty dramatic and I also thought it was going to be about anorexia. I was wrong. Oh, well. Anyway, I loved the story! I bet you have a knack for writing great stories. Keep writing great stories like this one!

on Mar. 11 2011 at 11:51 am
BeautifulSouls SILVER, Mount Judea, Arkansas
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't get anything done with your head down." - My Dad

Wow! That was amazing! I think I'm going to cry . . .

Anthony 1414 said...
on Mar. 11 2011 at 11:09 am
It was really touching and i really liked it.

AlexisB SILVER said...
on Mar. 11 2011 at 7:10 am
AlexisB SILVER, Milner, Georgia
9 articles 2 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
A synonym is a word you use when you can\\\'t spell the other one.

Absolutely touching!

Pickles-29 said...
on Mar. 11 2011 at 7:10 am
Pickles-29, Boise, Idaho
0 articles 0 photos 24 comments
This is really good. Loved it!!

on Feb. 17 2011 at 9:24 pm
This was really, really beautiful. I can't really add anything to the other comments -- it sounds like we all love you!

on Feb. 17 2011 at 8:08 pm
RainyWriter GOLD, Redmond, Washington
14 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
Only the smart, talented, amazing, and insane are remembered in history.

A little like PaRaNoRmAl627 said, I thought it was going to be about bulimia or anorexia. But thenas I scrolled down and kept reading, I realized it something the character couldn't control, that she couldn't save her own life. Short and sweet, but it's perfect. :)