Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect MAG

February 10, 2009
By Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 838 comments.


on Nov. 24 2010 at 6:54 pm
Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi
1 article 0 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

Same with your cousin. I never think about how many people actually have cancer... some of em you just can't tell.

on Nov. 24 2010 at 11:10 am
Hana-Hana BRONZE, Athens, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your gate is just a little locked right now" Simon Raad

thats how it is with my cousin and she is getting much much much better. I'm glad to hear he is doin' alright.

on Nov. 21 2010 at 7:54 pm
Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi
1 article 0 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

wow. I can personally relate to a sibling side of this. My brother was diagnosed i n2003 with an inoperable brain tumor. From then all the way to 2008, ('04-07 being the worst) we all thought that he was going to die. Stroke after stroke, surgurey after surgurey, he stood, smile on his face, encouraging us all when his own death seemed just around the corner.

In the end, he did live, but before that, every second with him was worth more than a million dollars.


on Nov. 21 2010 at 6:46 pm
random3rainbow SILVER, Montpelier, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
be the change you want to see in this world

i like. it says alot about  how the strong may be weak but theyare good at hiding it.

on Nov. 21 2010 at 6:01 pm
TheAurorasFall PLATINUM, Dover, Pennsylvania
29 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
life isn't about the number of moments you take to breathe, but about the number of moments that take your breathe away.

fantabulotastimazing<<< and no thats not a real world hehe

Grace_R SILVER said...
on Nov. 21 2010 at 10:36 am
Grace_R SILVER, Lenexa, Kansas
6 articles 4 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get better. It's not.
-Dr. Seuss

Sarah Dessen writes really good books that are kind of similar to this, but not this exactly. That being said, I did enjoy this.

on Nov. 21 2010 at 3:39 am
Sirenarose BRONZE, Sydney, Other
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Friendship is like peeing your self, everyone in the world can see it happening. But only you experience the warm feeling it brings.

That was amazing full of raw emotion and despair, relay inspired me

on Nov. 17 2010 at 10:47 am
thisiswhatiwant. BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"if i cant handle you at your low points i dont deserve you at your high points do i??" -bffl

ive read that before in a book. i think. by like shara dessen?

on Nov. 12 2010 at 9:32 am
Eer320 PLATINUM, S. China, Maine
20 articles 4 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes with the sharpeners on the back. I fancy myself to be a 64-color box, though I've got a few missing. It's ok though, because I've got some more vibrant colors like periwinkle at my disposal. I have a bit of a problem though in that I can only meet the 8-color boxes. Does anyone else have that problem? I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation.. so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type.. I'm like, hey girl, magenta! and she's like, oh, you mean purple! and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, no - I want magenta!"

That was really great, no complaints.

court_17 said...
on Nov. 7 2010 at 4:38 pm
court_17, Jacksonville, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you never failed before then you never tried anything new

OMG that was excellent! So precise and good, makes readers want to keep reading more. Where'd you get the inspiration? Magnificiant!

SOS.me said...
on Nov. 5 2010 at 2:56 pm
WOW! It's awesome. I keep on coming back to it, have used it for an example for several school assignments.

FunFace GOLD said...
on Nov. 2 2010 at 4:33 pm
FunFace GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia
11 articles 0 photos 63 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Z is for zed which is for fred which is for harry potter which is for couldron, DUH" -My friend and I

a tear rolled down my cheek when she told her mom she wanted to be normal it was so touching.  This is really really good keep writing :)

Berta BRONZE said...
on Oct. 30 2010 at 10:23 pm
Berta BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In riding a horse, we borrow freedom."
Helen Thompson

Awesome story!  Great writing!

on Oct. 30 2010 at 8:02 pm
livingmylife4512 SILVER, Pleasant Plains, Illinois
6 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Any lyric by The Maine or Never Shout Never
"I am I, you are you, we are we, we could live in such harmony"

You have a real talent. This was really good and real (:

Thanks for sharing your talents with the world.


Chargergirlz said...
on Oct. 30 2010 at 7:08 pm
This story is amazing!! its full of drama and realism. it reminds me of a Melody Carlson book but better. I hope to hear more from this author!

on Oct. 30 2010 at 4:21 pm
fashionlover16 SILVER, New Gloucester, Maine
5 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
I honestly don't know what my favorite personal quote is. I can tell u what i like, if u want that. I really like the twilight series. whenever my mom suggests that we should go shopping, i light up. I love shopping. well thats about it, byez!!!!! <3

ik right, its awesome!!

EternalLove said...
on Oct. 30 2010 at 1:53 pm
EternalLove, New York, New York
0 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
life is never what we see, but what we cant see, overturned by reality..quote from me

wow! amazing! i love it, best story ever!

jonasfan1234 said...
on Oct. 30 2010 at 1:21 pm
wow, great story, luv the ending. perfect. <3 tht

on Oct. 30 2010 at 10:07 am
Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri
16 articles 2 photos 100 comments

Favorite Quote:
life isn't passing me by, it's trying to run me over!

I agree! this is amazing!

Lonleydandy said...
on Oct. 30 2010 at 9:50 am
Perfect.