Words | Teen Ink

Words

By onemanband101 PLATINUM, Hackettstown, New Jersey
onemanband101 PLATINUM, Hackettstown, New Jersey

“Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me.”

That is not even funny.
Do you think I can’t hear you whisper behind my back? I can hear the lies that you spread when you think I can’t hear you. When you think I don’t see you. It hurts more than a slap in the face, and I can still feel it afterwards. The sting doesn’t go away, the pain just builds up.

I suppose you think I don’t notice the lethal glares you give me during homeroom. I bet you wish they would kill me, don’t you. They do though, even though I don’t drop dead to the floor at that instant. Your eyes can rip out my insides and leave me feeling empty, and worthless as dirt. Those stares can chill my blood in an instant; I’ve never been anywhere cold as you and I pray I never will.

Those e-mails you sent me last week, I guess you didn’t think I got those. I did though, and I’ve been scared as heck ever since. My nights are sleepless thanks to you, and darker than I could ever believe them to be. By now I’ve cried all the tears, so now I just sob tearless, broken sobs when I find you haunting my nightmares.

So don’t tell me words don’t hurt, because they’ve hurt me more than any punch would do to me.

Don’t even joke.

on May. 4 2018 at 9:52 pm
Birdwing BRONZE, Westminster, Colorado

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Albert Einstein

This is such a beautiful piece. Love it.

on Sep. 19 2014 at 12:59 pm
albealer SILVER, Bluffton, South Carolina

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is Limited. Imagination encircles the world."~Albert Einstein

Same, this stole my breath away.

Misha GOLD said...
on Sep. 17 2013 at 5:38 pm
Misha GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia

It only takes one white black bird to prove to the world that not all black birds are black.

That was strong. It literally made me take a step back. I absolutely loved that.

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks