Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect MAG

February 10, 2009
By Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 838 comments.


on Jun. 7 2011 at 8:22 am
I love it!

on Jun. 6 2011 at 3:50 pm
Leena7395 SILVER, Spring Grove, Illinois
8 articles 0 photos 80 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be who you are because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

I absolutely love this! It's so sad, but so reassuring and just goes to show how much people thrive for normality!

on May. 26 2011 at 5:15 pm
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia
35 articles 0 photos 782 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

This is really good!!!!!! What type of cancer? And why does she have bruises? I really liked it1:()

P.s. Can you please read my story Death From Angels, and give me feed back on what you think?


1234 said...
on May. 20 2011 at 3:02 pm
A little boy in my school got cancer. So devestating. Well written

on May. 19 2011 at 5:56 pm
Nerdygal19 BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Move on. It's just a chapter in the past. But don't close the book, just turn the page."

This was a beautifully written piece! Bravo! I especially loved the little details you included that made your story all the more better! Amazing! Keep it up!

on May. 16 2011 at 10:20 pm
StacieTonissen SILVER, Hubbard, Oregon
9 articles 0 photos 5 comments
wow this is sad :( but it was good

Sky.. BRONZE said...
on May. 16 2011 at 9:51 pm
Sky.. BRONZE, Manteca, California
3 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
But paradise is locked and bolted…
[So] we must take a journey around the world to see if a back door has perhaps been left open.
-Heinrich von Kleist, “On the Puppet Theater”

“Money talks and a lot of money sings and dances.” -Vane Kattalak

I cried when I read this! This is great! Very sad though..

LavellB said...
on May. 16 2011 at 9:47 pm
LavellB, Chicago, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
excuses are for people who don't succeed in life.
Hard work beats talent that doesn't work hard.

I love it.... keep up the good work

on May. 16 2011 at 5:02 pm
BandWhore BRONZE, Kinuso, Alaska
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Think im sarcastic? Watch me pretend to care.

It may have been sad but it was freaken awsome!!!!

on May. 16 2011 at 3:42 pm
twizzlerluva97 GOLD, New York City, New York
13 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Success comes to those who persist after all have given up. Which is why it is never crowded along the extra mile."

wow tht was beautiful i mean there arent even words to describe how perfect tht was im serious wow

cheerfreak25 said...
on May. 16 2011 at 8:55 am
cheerfreak25, Adel, Iowa
0 articles 0 photos 10 comments
? how do your think shes abuised you read and find out shes missing hair and then shses has lack of sleep and eating thats critical in the world of cancer. 

Das454 SILVER said...
on May. 14 2011 at 10:57 am
Das454 SILVER, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
7 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yesterday's history, and tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift - and that is why it's called 'the present'
"We always dread the unfamiliar", "We never burned right"

This was a great piece. Your storytelling is nicely done. I liked the 'perfect' character.

cheerfreak25 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 8:35 am
cheerfreak25, Adel, Iowa
0 articles 0 photos 10 comments
i love this story keep writing more!

on May. 8 2011 at 8:02 pm
Xyummixgumi BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
leeggooo and awwwww i love u

i really like this  as i was reading it was like i was feeling what you were going through  

on May. 7 2011 at 1:07 pm
lovestinks39 BRONZE, Plainfield, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
God save us everyone we will burn inside the fire of a thousand suns for the sins of our hands, sins of our tongues, sins, of our fathers, sins of our young.

i loved this, at first you lead the reader to believe she has eating disorders but then she has cancer. i loved you writing style. Keep writing!!!!!!!!

connfusion said...
on May. 2 2011 at 5:25 pm
OMG! I have had chemotherapy and you only have a stomach ache for maybe an hour after the infusion, but whatever. I loved the story. It really brought out emotion. Can't wait to read more of your stuff. btw, maybe make it into a book?

on May. 2 2011 at 2:52 pm
leaf44 PLATINUM, Rehoboth, Massachusetts
20 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense."
"Be careful, or you'll end up in my novel."

Chemotherapy and other cancer treatmeants can cause upset stomach (why she can't eat) and some cancers can cause bruising as a side affect.

SJ_101 said...
on Apr. 25 2011 at 4:28 pm
SJ_101, Somewhere, New York
0 articles 0 photos 169 comments

OMG! I just love it! I love the writing style & how it captivates the reader. It was really sad, and it makes me feel sorry for the main character. She sounds like a very brave person. :)

You seem to blend in what you want to say really well. Keep writing!

;D


on Apr. 24 2011 at 6:57 pm
twilightlover SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
8 articles 1 photo 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
love is the slowest suicide.
i love you is eight letters..... so is bull shit.

wow that was great. at first like most people i thought she was being abused but to find out that she has cancer makes it sad. i can understand how she wants everything to look normal. i would have wanted that too. but thats really good. have you ever thought about continueing that little segment on?

on Apr. 24 2011 at 6:17 pm
Thelostandcold SILVER, Norfolk, Virginia
9 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You really should get a doctor to look at that..."
-Me

Yea, first I thought she was abused, then I thought she was bulimac. The ending was very sad