Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect MAG

February 10, 2009
By Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
Kelsey Hill BRONZE, State University, Arkansas
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My hair might not shine the way it used to, but the pink ribbon will distract curious eyes. One hour of preparation and I look like myself. One hour of preparation and no one will know. One hour out of 24. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it – wasting a twenty-fourth of my day on a lie. But then I see my wispy hair and baggy eyes, and I have to do it.

Checking my makeup one last time, I push my sleeves up, though not past my elbows. I slip on a cute pair of flats – heels are too dangerous with shaky legs – and grab my Hollister bag. Padding downstairs, I inhale the scent of waffles and syrup.

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again. She busies herself at the sink and fills the silence with chatter. When she turns around, she takes in the waffles still on my plate, only missing a few bites. I smile apologetically.

“I’m not very hungry this morning.”

“You’ll need your strength for this afternoon.” She bites her lip. She doesn’t like to bring it up over breakfast. I eat another bite.

“I packed your lunch.”

“I’m 18, Mom. I can pack my own lunch. You have more important things to do.”

She reaches for the paper sack. “But now I know you’ll have something to eat. And you need to eat, okay? You have to keep your strength up.”

Sighing, I take the bag. I know this peanut butter and jelly sandwich won’t be eaten, not any more than the one yesterday or the day before. And even if I do eat it, I’ll just throw it up later. Anything consumed after 11 ends up in a plastic basin at 4:07. It’s just the way it works.

“Hon, have you thought about what I said the other day?” she asks.

I shrug noncommittally.

“Sweetheart, you can’t hide this forever. Eventually you’re going to miss school and people will start asking questions.”

“Mom, I have two months left of high school. I can make it ’til then. I’m class president and probably valedictorian. I was voted ‘Most popular,’ ‘Most fun to be around,’ ‘Best smile,’ and ‘Most likely to succeed.’ I’m the girl who’s got it all together. People don’t want to know that the girl who’s got it all together, doesn’t have it all together. People don’t want to know that girl is dying!”

“Honey, don’t say that. You’re not dying.”

“Yes, I am. I have cancer. You heard Dr. Morrison. I have maybe a year left. But that means I can graduate and then never see those people again. I’ll die and they’ll feel sorry for me, but at least I won’t have to endure their pity.”

“But …,” she tries to interrupt.

“Mom, listen to me. I don’t want to be the girl everyone looks at and whispers, ‘Look at her. Poor thing, she has cancer.’ I can’t handle that. I want to be normal. Just for these last two months.”

“Okay,” she whispers. “Okay. Just remember, it’s okay if you don’t have it all together. Sometimes things just fall apart and there’s nothing we can do.”

“Thanks, Mom.” I grab my bag and lunch and kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” my mom replies. This exchange, once taken for granted, is now a vital part of every morning, every afternoon, every night. Three little words, followed by four more, have come to mean more than an entire conversation. They bridge all gaps and disagreements, because we both know there is now a finite number left.

Keys in hand, I open the door and blink in the early morning sun. My silver car waits in the driveway and as I walk toward it, I check my reflection in the tinted window. Perfect.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 838 comments.


Duckie430 said...
on Jan. 4 2011 at 6:57 pm
Duckie430, Riverside, Rhode Island
0 articles 0 photos 228 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The secret to life is being who you are and being happy with who you are.”
"Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger."

at first i thought this was about an eating disorder too...when you revealed at the end that it was cancer, it absolutely blew me away. this is so wonderfully written & emotional.

Starrah101 said...
on Jan. 4 2011 at 5:50 pm
I loved this it felt very real. The beginning made me assume she was bulimic

Lahari GOLD said...
on Jan. 4 2011 at 3:48 pm
Lahari GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
19 articles 0 photos 71 comments

Favorite Quote:
\\\\\\\"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That\\\\\\\'s why its called the present.\\\\\\\"
— Eleanor Roosevelt

\\\\\\\"When life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then sit back and watch as the world wonders how you did it.\\\\\\\'

Wow! That was soo good, it almost made me cry!

on Jan. 4 2011 at 11:08 am
Hollypaw18 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
16 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everyone is different, it's the natural state- it's the facts, it's plain to see. The world's gray enough without making it worse. What we need is individuality!"
- Billy Elliot's "Expressing Yourself"

Wow... this seriously almost made me cry. Great writing and it really makes you curious at the beginning... like what's going on?

LOVE IT :D


on Jan. 4 2011 at 9:16 am
Vanendra BRONZE, Blasdell, New York
1 article 76 photos 311 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I just sneezed and it hurt my pelvis."~Jasmine Omg
"A wise girl kisses but doesn't love"~Marylin Monroe
"I didn't tell him nowhere where you live" ~me ^-^
"I like the wolves on this textbook, they have very legs" ~Jasmine Omg

i cried when I read this, the way the words were put together made me feel the emotion in the coversation and in the family. You're an excellent writer

on Jan. 4 2011 at 6:32 am
Supergirl101 BRONZE, Portsmouth, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When people who don't know you hate you, that's when you're at your best."

Aww amazing can't even describe this. It was so powerful and true. You're such a strong young woman.

jemter GOLD said...
on Dec. 13 2010 at 6:13 pm
jemter GOLD, Oakley, California
14 articles 36 photos 33 comments
wow. great stuff, gotta say. my mom just lost her battle with breast cancer.

on Dec. 13 2010 at 5:38 pm
SaMiLoVe97 SILVER, Okawville, Illinois
9 articles 3 photos 105 comments

Favorite Quote:
If it doesnt break your heart it isnt love, if it doesnt break your heart its not enough. Its when youre breaking down with your insides coming out.Thats when you learn what youre made of.-Switchfoot<3

I thought it was about an eating disorder at first too. This is a really amazing peice. Please keep writing:D                        Love, Sami

on Dec. 13 2010 at 5:17 pm
ErisRose DIAMOND, Ashburn, Virginia
50 articles 1 photo 81 comments

Favorite Quote:
Omnia vincit amor et nos cedamus amori- Love conquers all let us yield to love
Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, Bones Heal, Suck it up and dance!
If they give you ruled paper, write the other way

I was crying when i finished reading this... It was so amazing!!! Keep writing:)

on Dec. 13 2010 at 4:52 pm
ShannonVictoria BRONZE, Dutch Haror, Alaska
4 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love takes time. Don't keep asking random people to go out with you. If you wait, God will send the right person to you. But if you don't, then you may never find the one you're destend to be with." -Shannon McConnell

oops! Meant to put this as a new comment. haha. My bad. :)

on Dec. 13 2010 at 4:51 pm
Rainbeauxs SILVER, Bridgetown, Other
7 articles 3 photos 42 comments
This is beyond AMAZING

on Dec. 13 2010 at 4:51 pm
ShannonVictoria BRONZE, Dutch Haror, Alaska
4 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love takes time. Don't keep asking random people to go out with you. If you wait, God will send the right person to you. But if you don't, then you may never find the one you're destend to be with." -Shannon McConnell

Oh my goodness!! That is really good! I wrote a story sort of like this one, but a little different. I am just editing it really good right now, and then it will be posted. It's called "Death of a loved one". Check it out when i post it! :)

maki:p GOLD said...
on Dec. 13 2010 at 4:51 pm
maki:p GOLD, Rocklin, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only journey is the one within" and "You can't help anyone who doesn't want to be helped."

I really liked the last part about "I love you," being an essential part of conversation.

on Dec. 13 2010 at 4:21 pm
chocolateluvr BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments
i think i m gonna cry really good story

on Dec. 13 2010 at 1:48 pm
HeartbrokenAngel BRONZE, Cottonwood, California
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do you know how much I wish I could go back in time and change so many things? The first one is you."

Dang. This was really good. I loved every word of it. Thanks for posting.

on Dec. 11 2010 at 6:11 pm
whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
14 articles 1 photo 112 comments
i think i mite have commented on this before... but watever...this is really good!!!!!!

on Dec. 9 2010 at 5:32 pm
amandap PLATINUM, Midlothian, Virginia
31 articles 0 photos 183 comments
I love this, so much... At first I thought it was about an eating disorder, because those signs do show up when you have one. The loss of hair, the shaking bones and such. But the impact of cancer is so much stronger, I absolutely loved the way you wrote this. I marked it as a favorite, 5 stars. Incredible...

on Dec. 3 2010 at 7:38 pm

great story! I loved your writing style! My granma was really interested! (she isnt easily impressed so take that!!!!).  She reads so fast its unfair. But anyway great book, keep writing writer!

- BTP


D.Liu said...
on Dec. 1 2010 at 11:22 pm
D.Liu, Phoenix, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Your piece about the life of a high school girl, who has contracted cancer, is really powerful and emotional. Stirring thoughts pound into my head as I read about the desire problems the main character face that not only included food, but as well as a person to console in. The character’s strong attitude to keep a steeled face in the midst of her dilemma taught me that sometimes it is alright to put on a mask to conceal misfortune if it will only be painful to others. This compelling story makes me realize what real problems are and has me count my blessings, besides the fact on whether or not this story is true.

I just want to applaud you and your creativeness to post something like this. Good luck with any new works!


Esperanza GOLD said...
on Nov. 26 2010 at 7:24 am
Esperanza GOLD, Twinsburg, Ohio
15 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't tell me 'sky's the limit' when there are footprints on the moon."

Speaking of perfect this article is perfect don't change a thing i loved it