Fallout 3 | Teen Ink

Fallout 3

April 15, 2015
By ReviewRiot SILVER, Fullerton, California
ReviewRiot SILVER, Fullerton, California
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Even the smallest chance is still a chance to do something


The Fallout series is great overall. The first two were top-down and the gameplay was different than what it is today. Fallout 3 is when it really became popular. People who had played previous games could now see what the wasteland they had been exploring looked like in first or third person. Explore a retro-futuristic wasteland that was once Washington D.C.

The game starts off with you being born in a vault. Not a vault in a bank though. A vault in the Fallout world is an underground city that protected people from nuclear bombs after a major nuclear war occurred.

After your father leaves, you must escape to find him. Here is where your adventure begins. You enter the remains of Washington D.C. for the first time. You can go to the town of Megaton and follow the main story or you can go explore the wasteland.

Fallout features a big map for its time. But in 2015, the map is about 3-5 Battlefield 4 maps combined. To CoD players, that probably sounds huge. But to GTA (and other open world games right now), that is basically nothing for an open world game. But that doesn't matter. The game's map is beautiful in its own way. It has almost no plant life, in fact, I don't think it has any. But seeing the Washington Monument still standing above surrounding debris, it makes for a great picture. Walking down a highway looks wonderful as you imagine how it would've looked if there hadn't been a nuclear war. The world of Fallout is beautiful.

Fallout also has lots of unique characters. There's your father for a start. He's brave, smart, and is an amazing human being. As you explore the wasteland you'll find many other interesting characters. There are also very unique enemies. Want to fight against giant c***roaches (about 1 1/2 ft long 1/2 ft wide)? Go ahead! Fight a zombie? Yep, there are even civilized ones. Maybe fight a giant mutant? Sure, they're called behemoths and are about 1/3 of the height of the Washington Monument.

Fallout if you couldn't tell, is very immersive and fun. The fact that it's retro-futuristic (old-looking technology in an advanced technological age) makes the game even better! The story to it is also very interesting. Because of this, I will give you a brief summary of what the story is supposed to be.

In the future there was a nuclear war, wiping out most of the earth, making the human race start from the beginning. People began fighting each other for things and the world became a place of violence and danger. You on the other hand are safe. Why? You live in a vault! Created by Vault-Tec, these high security underground cities are all you need to live a full life. But when your father leaves without telling you why, you must escape the vault to find him. From here you look around, getting to know people and asking them about your dad. Your journey to find Dad has begun.

Good enough? Yes because I don't want to give too much away. Now like I was saying before, Fallout 3 is amazing. Even though the game is about eight years old (as of 2015), its graphics and gameplay hold up well today. The overall game is brilliant, beautiful, and interesting.

Rating:

10/10