What Remains of Edith Finch: Review | Teen Ink

What Remains of Edith Finch: Review

April 30, 2024
By spacecowgirl SILVER, Newark, Delaware
spacecowgirl SILVER, Newark, Delaware
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Oohrah


Towering over its neighboring trees, the vacant home of the Finch family welcomes the last remaining member of the lineage, Edith Finch, back into her childhood from seven years ago. Constricted with sealed doors that lead into rooms once possessed by her deceased relatives, Edith hasn’t had the opportunity to explore half of the house she grew up in, but with a key inherited from her recently passed mother and someone in front of the screen to act as her guide, a curiosity has been rekindled.

Made and developed by Giant Sparrow, What Remains of Edith Finch is the perfect game for former readers looking to try a new perspective of story-telling. While being a small indie production, the tale it tells is one worth knowing, as it fully immerses the player into the story allowing them to know the weight of the actions instead of viewing it from an outside perspective. It mostly allures people with its plot and narrative, the controls of the game are fairly simple, and will not challenge most with hand-eye coordination, which could be considered a blessing based on your own personal experience with video games.

The overall scenery of the game is pleasant to look at as you wander the house and explore the property, however, the graphics have the ability to change as you are pulled into reenactments of the last moments before each Finch death. The stories themselves are in no way similar and each provides a thrilling experience as you play through them. They also seem to be fantasy, detailed, and yet horrifying at the same time, truly making the impact of the death stand out.

This is the most I am able to say without spoiling the game, as it only has a play time of about two hours; yet it will leave you staring at the screen as the credits roll. The everlasting mark it has left will change how story video games are viewed, and have raised the standards I hold for games in general. If you’re looking for a visual story this would be the game for you.