Prison Break: Breaking Boundaries in American Television | Teen Ink

Prison Break: Breaking Boundaries in American Television

April 6, 2017
By braedonpani BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
braedonpani BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

According to The New York Times, Fox’s electrifying American TV serial drama, Prison Break, has been deemed “one of the most original” television series. Prison Break depicts the cunning and clever Michael Scofield (Wentworth Miller) as he endeavours on an elaborate mission to free his unlawfully framed brother, Lincoln Burrows (Dominic Purcell), from death row. Heroically, Michael deliberately gets himself incarcerated at the same prison his brother is held, Fox River State Penitentiary. Despite Michael’s success in busting his brother, as well as six other inmates, out of prison he soon realizes that the escape is only the beginning of their treacherous journey to freedom. This chaos builds three more exhilarating, action-packed seasons for viewers.


As demonstrated by its cult following, the Fox Television show has it all: Prison Break is full of complex characters, great filming and plot twists that the audience cannot anticipate. To some viewers, the repercussions and misfortunes in the first four seasons of Prison Break seem wildly unbelievable and outlandish. Regarding this issue, James Poniewozik of Time Magazine says it best, “What Prison Break lacks in plausibility--basically, everything--it makes up for in plotting, pacing and panache”. On the whole, Prison Break goes above and beyond in developing authentic and heartfelt characters. Not only is Prison Break a highly action based Television Series, but it also includes the intriguing element of forbidden romance. Michael develops a passionate, though unacceptable love for the penitentiary nurse Sara Tancredi (Sarah Wayne Callies) which heightens all emotional stakes for viewers.


The show made its highly anticipated debut on August 29, 2005 to an estimated audience of 10.5 million (Wikipedia). Throughout its run, the series provided dramatic entertaining to millions of viewers worldwide. After surprising spectators with an astounding finale of season four, including the suspected death of Michael, the series hit a roadblock in 2009. However, it was announced in 2016 that Prison Break will be returning for its final season on April 4th, 2017. Due to the unsuspected reappearance of Michael, the new season has been named Prison Break: Resurrection.


The recent trailer has all Prison Break fans itching for season five to be released sooner. The trailer previews Michael in a highly guarded prison in India, after being presumed dead. His “death” was due to an outlet explosion in a female prison while breaking Sara, his now wife, out in season four. When Michael's son asks Sara about his father, she responds that “he was like a storm appearing suddenly out of a clear blue sky”. Further hinting his viability, his son questions, “Storms can come back, right?”. No matter what is to come for Michael in season five, the plot will definitely need to include his most clever escape yet.


Although numerous fans are enthusiastic, many are worried it will not live up to expectations. However, others are very excited for the new season to start. Adding a slight twist to Michael’s previous escapes, season five captures Michael’s determination to reunite with his new family. If you’re a fan of hair-raising adventure and captivating romance, be sure to tune into Fox on April 4th at 9/8c to catch the first episode of Prison Break: Resurrection.