Grey's Anatomy | Teen Ink

Grey's Anatomy

By Nataliekolo21 SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Nataliekolo21 SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey

If you could imagine the best show there is, would it have a lot of plot twists, character relationships, and multiple life or death situations? One show that has all three of these is Grey’s Anatomy. It became the most proclaimed show and in its first two seasons alone the show won over 15 awards and countless more nominations ranging from Teen Choice Awards to the Golden Globes. Some would consider it their favorite or even the best television show of all time because of the character development and relationships. I, however, did not begin watching it when it first came out 13 years ago; I began in 2014. Since then, I have learned to love all of this show except for one season, season 12.

Season 12 had lower ratings and viewers than previous seasons. It had nearly 8 million viewers a night, that is very impressive but previous seasons, like season four and five, had close to 10 million. The most evident change in this season compared to the previous season is the cast. Instead of focusing on the most popular character in the show like Meredith Grey, Alex Karev and Miranda Bailey, the show turned its attention towards supporting characters like Owen Hunt and Amelia Shepard. This was a disappointment because they had just spent 11 seasons growing and developing the main characters and getting watchers to feel an emotional connection to them but now it seems as though they want to end this plotline.

The season started out with a patient who attacked Meredith. He broke her jaw along with injuring her in other places but the jaw was the most prominent because she could not speak for a couple of episodes. Personally, I think this was a terrible idea because they essentially took the main character of the show out for a few weeks. I was confused and angry as to why they would take out the most favored character. This also opened doors for the spotlight to be put on Owen and Amelia.

The focus on the newest couple of Owen and Amelia was too overplayed and reoccurring. The problem that the couple faced was similar to all the other couples in the show and in my opinion was not creative at all. Their relationship was similar to Derek and Meredith’s in season two and three. During the season, Owen and Amelia, also known as ‘Omelia’, their couple name is on and off. They do not really get a stable relationship until a season later. Not only that, but the couple was always having the same fights. When I was watching, I felt that the producer of the show, Shonda Rhimes, could have been so much more creative with their relationship. Of course the two are going to fight and end up together but I just wish that they made a better plot for the two.
Even through all the repetition there were still some things about the show that I enjoyed. I loved episode 16, “When It Hurts So Bad”. This episode was by far the best episode of the season. It was all about Meredith cleaning the house and finding Derek’s blanket. She says, “This was Derek’s blanket. I hated this thing. Its not soft, its not warm, its not a great color… and now he’s gone, and I still have the damn thing” (12.16). I love it when they play scenes from older characters or even events like they did here. I think it makes the watchers more interested because it reminds them of the really good seasons from years ago. If they bring Derek back as a ghost in any of the episodes, I’m sure their ratings and viewers will skyrocket and honestly taking him off the show was the worst decision that the producers ever made.

However, one couple that is still in the show is April and Jackson. Another plot that I liked was Jackson and April’s baby. I thought the order in which then planned the pregnancy was well done. The two got a divorce and they she found out that she is pregnant. They are better characters apart than they are together but also they would be great parents together, especially Jackson who is one of my favorite characters. His character always acts perfectly, not in the sense of wrong and right, but the idea that he acts on what you would expect of him but he never fails to entertain. These two always show their conflict and resolution but the best conflict in the season is that between Dr. Riggs and Dr. Hunt.

The conflict is not fully explained or solved yet and that is why it’s my favorite part. You do not know the whole story of why they are fighting or why one is mad at the other, which really appeals the viewers’. I like the mystery and the possibility of what it could be. At one point I thought they could be brothers and one took the mom’s maiden name like Prison Break’s Lincoln Burrows and Michael Schofield, but this was soon proved wrong. I love the possibilities that the conflict could turn out to be.

Overall, I thought this season lacked potential compared to the other season. It had more negatives than it did positives with the repetition and the plot twists. They did not play out most of the conflicts well enough and they did not develop the characters that well this season.