Gossip Girl | Teen Ink

Gossip Girl

By ImogenGF SILVER, Brooklyn, New York, New York
ImogenGF SILVER, Brooklyn, New York, New York

Television hit Gossip Girl (based on the book series by Cecily Von Zeigezar) is a five time Teen Choice Award winner for best drama TV show. Even after five years of running and six epic seasons, its riveting plot still draws in tons of viewers on Netflix. Although the show is aimed at teens, people of all ages enjoy it. There are many aspects of Gossip Girl that allow it to draw in a broad audience including mystery, social hierarchy, romance, top quality costume design, and class.

Set in New York, in Manhattan's wealthy Upper East Side, the Gossip Girl story begins at Constance School for Girls (and St. Jude's School for Boys). An anonymous website runner who is self-dubbed "Gossip Girl" spills the secrets of the elite and popular social circle of close Upper East Siders. "Gossip Girl" receives tips from any and everyone. With one snap of a picture, an individual's social life can be demolished.

A typical episode opens with the line "Hey Upper East Siders, Gossip Girl here, your one and only source into the scandalous lives of Manhattan's elite. And who am I? That's one secret I'll never tell. Xoxo, Gossip Girl." This is followed by a voiceover from actress Kristen Bell who plays the faceless voice of "Gossip Girl." The voiceover foreshadows the theme of each episode. Often it quotes a saying and then explains how it doesn't apply on the Upper East Side. The original opening pulls viewers in episode after episode.

Another factor which cannot be ignored is the costume design. The mastermind behind the entrancing garments is Eric Daman. His talents are greatly needed, seeing as the two main girls have high end fashion taste and a passion for shopping. The show references iconic designers, brands and stores. Among the mentioned are Minolo Blanic, Chanelle, and Bergdorf Goodman. This helps illustrate the wealth of these Upper East Siders as well as their own personal tastes.

The audience develops personal connections to each of the characters. The series stars actress Blake Lively as Serena Van Der Woodsen, a glitzy blonde ex-party-girl who has been away at boarding school for a year. When she returns, she bears both a new, more kind, relatable personality, and some dark secrets. Serena's best friend Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester) is also a key character. Her knack for scheming and styling make her unique and interesting. Serena and Blair often have an unstable friendship. Blair struggles with jealousy of Serena's beauty and charisma while Serena tries to make herself "less sparkly" (as described by a Serena herself) so that Blair won't be upset. These girls are the main contributors to the plot and are loved by many fans.

The main boys in the show demonstrate stereotypes of society and how they are never fully correct. The three major male parts, Dan Humphrey (Penn Badgley), Nate Archibald (Chase Crawford), and Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick) all interact on both a friendly level and a romantic level with the two girls. However, they could not be more different. Dan Humphrey represents the middle class of society, as his father is a musician in a forgotten band and he lives in a loft in Brooklyn. Chuck Bass is a stereotypical rich badboy and the son of a cold hearted (and extremely wealthy) businessman. Lastly, Nate Archibald is the picture of wealth and good looks, with a strong family legacy. But beneath each of these society formed figures, those watching the show catch glimpses of the characters' true selves and can see that no matter how clichéd their persona may be, they all have a heart, the ability to love, and the misfortune of making mistakes.

In conclusion, I highly recommend this television show. Both its plot and its character interactions will leave viewers yearning for more. The more you watch, the closer you will feel to the characters. Favorite people and couples from the show will become an obsession. No matter one’s age, Gossip Girl will both consume your life, and become your favorite topic of conversation.