Steven Universe | Teen Ink

Steven Universe MAG

By Sardonyx BRONZE, Palo Alto, California
Sardonyx BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

Be Your Wild, Courageous, Brilliant Self Every Single Day. No Matter What

Begun in 2013, “Steven Universe” is the first show on Cartoon Network to be directed and produced by a woman. The mastermind behind this critically acclaimed show, Rebecca Sugar, created the story from her childhood experiences. The show is set in a seaside tourist attraction, Beach City, inspired by the coastal villages in Delaware that Sugar and her family visited on summer vacations. The main protagonist, Steven, lives in a temple with three other characters – Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl, who are basically gemstones from outer space that take on physical forms.

The primary theme of “Steven Universe” is the ability to see the beauty in both fiction and nonfiction. As the show creator put it, “The fantasy world and the fantasy characters became interested in real life. And Steven is the son of a human being and a crystal gem. You know, and he’s the product of fantasy having a love affair with reality. And all of the imperfections of real life could be beautiful and fascinating to … [those] who are used to the impossible perfection of their fantasy world.”

This show features quirky electronic music, a dubstep soundtrack inspired from vintage video games, beautifully composed artwork, a cast of characters that are as likable as they are complex. In addition, the storyline is saturated with twists, turns, and endless journeys. “Steven Universe” has touched the hearts of an audience beyond its target demographic. Although the show was created for younger children, teenagers and adults have grown fond of the intricate messages woven into each episode. For instance, in the Season 1 episode “Frybo,” Peedee Fryman, a side character who is responsible for his family restaurant, Beach Citywalk Fries, offers a poignant commentary on the transition between childhood and adulthood. “You pick up a job to buy a house, to raise kids or to … impress your dad,” Peedee reflects. “You work away your life and what does it get you? You get cash. Cash that can’t buy what the job takes. Not if you rode every seahorse in the world.”

“Steven Universe” has rekindled my passion for American cartoons. During stressful, busy days, I look forward to returning to the comfort of home and enjoying an episode. It’s not another run-of-the-mill kids cartoon; it always makes me think. But most importantly, this show makes me feel special and part of a community. I wonder if Rebecca Sugar made so many of her characters “gems” because she wanted to make everyone in the real world feel as if they have a part of the fantasy world within them. Any average individual can feel as powerful and moving as Garnet, as resourceful and enthusiastic as Amethyst, or as knowledgeable and graceful as Pearl.

Hilarious, cute, original, creative, heartfelt, but also insightful, “Steven Universe” is truly a modern masterpiece.

A review regarding one of my favorite Cartoon Network TV shows: Steven Universe. 

hs.nerd said...
on Oct. 24 2016 at 10:04 am
I hate when people say its just a dumb cartoon when it actually has a lot of meaning and it teaches you a lot of things like to love yourself and the way you are, also to treat people kindly, and lastly be honest no matter how bad it is cause if you don't its going to hurt you.