Parks and Recreation | Teen Ink

Parks and Recreation

August 10, 2015
By laurenevansok SILVER, Bromborough, Other
laurenevansok SILVER, Bromborough, Other
6 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
'One person's "annoying" is another person's "inspiring and heroic"' - Leslie Knope (Parks and Recreation)


You know a TV show is brilliant when a simple theme tune encourages you to dance around the room like no one can stop you. America’s Emmy Award nominated comedy ‘Parks and Recreation’ makes you feel like you can achieve anything. If you’re a fan of the US ‘The Office’ you will become hysterically involved with ‘Parks and Recreation’. If not, you will love it all the same.


What does ‘Parks and Recreation consist of? Breakfast food, and lots of it. Waffles, farewells, new faces, spontaneous breakdancing, waffles, drunken mistakes, government hearings, nasty neighbours, a million friendship nuggets, Leslie Knope’s compliments, tears and something else… oh, waffles.

 

‘Smart Girls’ leader and astonishing actress Amy Poehler adopts the lead role of main character, Leslie Knope. Leslie is a self-determined bureaucrat who strives for success and to beautify her town of Pawnee, Indiana. The dream starts small when Leslie promises to help the delightful Ann Perkins fill in an abandoned pit outside of her house, in attempt to transform it into a community park. However, as simple as it may sound there are many obstacles and Government despisers who stand in her positive path.


Nick Offerman, Jim O’Heir, Rob Lowe and Aubrey Plaza are but a few of the talented actors who captivate the essence of various personalities involved within an office environment. Politics has never been funnier when it comes to ‘Parks and Recreation’. Nick Offerman portrays the ridiculous addiction Ron Swanson has for meat and his hatred for the Government, even though he is the director of the department. Rashida Jones, stunning in reality and even more radiant in Pawnee as the ‘beautiful sunflower’ that is Ann Perkins! (The exclamation mark is necessary, you will want to be her best friend). The utterly brilliant Chris Pratt, most famous for ‘Jurassic World’ and Marvel’s ‘Guardians of The Galaxy’, will make you cry with laughter as Andy Dwyer; a lovable, clumsy human puppy who is also the best rock star known to man. I could explode and tell you everything, but I want you to be in awe as you fall head-over-heels for every single one of them. I guarantee that you will be able to compare most, if not all of the fictional characters to real people in your life.


Seven seasons later and I am obsessed with the creative passion the show has encouraged me to pursue through the unpredictable plot twists and positivity the characters possess. Apart from their fear of racoons, all Pawneeans hate racoons… I am a changed person in result of my dedication to this show and if I could persuade every person in the world to fall in love with it like I have, I wouldn’t hesitate. A dear friend of mine introduced me to ‘Parks and Recreation’ and his favourite show has now become my own; I am living in the shadow of Leslie Knope and that is something I am extremely proud to admit. ‘I am a goddess, a glorious, female warrior’. Besides, ‘there ain’t no party like a Leslie Knope party’.


The author's comments:

TV's biggest comedy blessing.