Once Upon a Time | Teen Ink

Once Upon a Time

December 14, 2014
By catcat101 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
catcat101 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

What do you do when Peter Pan is attempting to kill you? And how do you react when one of your main allies is the Evil Queen? "Once Upon a Time" is all about fairy tales - but with unexpected twists and turns. This show is anything but the original stories you were told when you were younger. Many of the normal heroes and villains have switched roles. "Once Upon a Time," a show on ABC, will not only teach you a different history of the fairytale characters, but will also show you their troubled lives in the present day.


Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) is reunited with her long-lost son, Henry (Jared Gilmore), who eagerly leads her to a town called Storybrooke. He thinks the town is part of a curse his foster mother, the Evil Queen (also known as Regina Mills and is played by Lana Parrilla), cast, where all the characters are trapped with no memories of their past lives. Of course, Emma doesn't believe him at first, but when she arrives at this mysterious town, she beings to realize her son is right. She becomes partners with many of the fairytale characters, and they work together to defeat the antagonists. Each season has a new enemy, and in each episode, their histories unravel.
Emma Swan is the main protagonist of the story. She's strong, stubborn, yet full of flaws; she's someone who's realistic. Though Emma is busy fighting villains to save Storybrooke, she is constantly struggling with her own problems - like her romantic struggles - and trying to save herself. This makes her one of the most lovable characters in the show. But Emma is full of surprises, and some of them are ones even she doesn't know about.
Throughout each season, new villains and heroes are introduced. In fact, the much-loved sisters from "Frozen" are starring in the most recent and airing season. Nearly all the fairytale characters from your childhood memories are featured in “Once Upon a Time.” Many of the characters take on more than one role. For example, Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) is also the Crocodile from “Peter Pan.” Of course, you can’t forget Hook and Peter Pan!


I praise all the actors and actresses for their wonderful acting; they are always able to portray their characters perfectly. The action, adventure, and romance create a swirl of exciting events. But I'm not the only one who loves the acting; Lana Parrilla won the ALMA award for Favorite TV Actress-Drama. This isn't surprising because her abilitytk gather viewers' sympathy for the Evil Queen's history and present-day life is astonishing. In addition, she is able to transition from being a villain to a hero without giving us uneasy and doubtful feelings.
It is not only the acting that draws me in, but also the special effects in the show. Considering the fact that this is a fantastical show, and many characters have powers, it would be hard for one to create perfect special effects. So when I saw the flawless spells that Regina cast, and the ice that shot out of Elsa's fingers, I was in shock. My expectations were exceeded.


As each episode is unfolded, secrets are exposed. "Once Upon a Time" will never disappoint you, especially since the thrilling events in the show will make you question the fairytale stories you were told when you were young. As we receive our much-awaited answers, more questions arise throughout all the episodes. They leave us on a cliffhanger, dying to watch the next episode when it comes out. Believe me – as soon as you watch this show, you’ll be Hooked!