Why we love MTV’s “Skins” | Teen Ink

Why we love MTV’s “Skins”

By PaigeLove17 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
PaigeLove17 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

After watching the highly controversial MTV series “Skins” I was Amazed. Amazed at what a deep series it was and the fact that parents dislike it greatly. It’s completely understandable as to why they hated and pursued the show because parents fail to see how relatable it is. “Skins” is an appropriate TV show for teens because it depicts the reality they face.

This show broke MTV’s record of viewing by capturing over three million views on the premiere night because teens love this show. They were excited to see something different and uncovered. Now while MTV supports the show The Parents Television Council protests it by saying ”PTC counted 42 depictions and references to drugs and alcohol in the premiere episode” (All voices). Now if the actual parents of the PTC went to high school for at least one day and listened in on conversations throughout the day they would hear well over forty-two references to substance abuse. This show captures what teens face throughout their daily lives but instead of glamorizing the drama it shows the hardships and consequences.

“Skins” is a teen drama about eight friends who go through life changing problems: unstable relationships, sexuality, abandonment, psychological issues, and substance abuse. This show is not about a bunch of rowdy teens that party all day, every day. Of course they do attend a few intense parties, but they also share problems that most teenagers have today. What this show does that is so unique and caught my eye was that each episode focuses on a different character and what they go through with their social, school, and family life. This show is so perfectly appropriate and relatable because it’s raw. “Skins” has absolutely no sugar coating when it comes to the uncomfortable situations of betrayal and pain. The actors, because they are actually teenagers instead of adults, allow you to feel what they feel by reacting in ways that seem so natural. Now I will admit that this show can be a bit dramatic when it portrays the school the characters attend; however, it only does so to add some comic relief. This show helps teens understand that they are not alone.

“Skins” may dramatize and be blunt about unfavorable situations but it is far from being too mature for adolescence. Until parents realize that their child does face these issues on a daily basis, they will forever be in the dark. Teens watch this show to have something that their parents can not give them; an understanding of their own problems as well as their peers.

on Jun. 23 2011 at 11:07 pm
BadKindOfLucky BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

\"Basic rule of advertizing and eternal damnation: Once you sell your soul to the devil, he holds the copyright.\" -Brian QAF (wanted to put additional quote by Harvey Milk...space did not suffice)

Skins (uk) was created for teens as a teen comedy/drama. The partying and drugs are bad vises resulting from the problems they don't know how to deal with. The drugs and partying are never shown as fun or harmless or cool. The characters themselves go through a lot of things and have a lot of character development through the course of the show. Let's face it...the teen years are the rebellious, experimental years. The characters eventually grow up and work towards their futures. It's important to give the teen population something they can relate to on tv. Something funny, dramatic...realistic maybe? And what show can give us that?... (certainly not Glee which is not realistic) 

on Jun. 23 2011 at 10:56 pm

Skins (uk) is one of my favorite shows. The characters as a group seem like normal party hard superficial teens, but as you get to know them episode by episode you start to see their problems and how they are trying to deal with them. It has a way of portraying teens as more than skin deep.

The~Watcher said...
on Jun. 16 2011 at 4:09 pm
What kind of high school are you going to, that has 42 people doing drugs there every day? Mentioning substance abuse is not the same as depicting it- talking and doing are two completely different things. And I honestly find it scary that when you have to choose between your parents and Hollywood when deciding who's not lying to you, you picked Hollywood. If you admit 'this show can be a bit dramatic', why are you taking what it says as absolute truth?

on May. 9 2011 at 2:38 am
Chitra.I PLATINUM, Dubai, Other

Everything makes sense if you think too much about it.

How true.

I haven't watched the show yet but I definitely will now. It is true that parents haven't the faintest idea about the realities teens face. And most of the shows that depict teens these days are airbrushed and you could choke on the overt drama.

Good job. :)