A Witch's Tale | Teen Ink

A Witch's Tale

By tina68 SILVER, Wilmingtion, Delaware
tina68 SILVER, Wilmingtion, Delaware

The Owl House is a fantasy cartoon created by Dana Terrace. Dana Terrace is a writer, director, producer, storyboard artist, and voice actor. She has directed Ducktales reboot and worked on Gravity Falls as a storyboard artist. It debuted on Disney Channel on January 10, 2020. The main character, Luz, is voiced by Sarah-Nicole Robles. Robles has voiced Scarlet from Star Darlings, and some additional characters from Olaf’s frozen adventure. Eda, Luz’s mentor, is voiced by Wendie Malick. Malick has voiced in The Emperor’s New Groove, Bratz, Kim Possible, and Jimmy Neutron. Alex Hirsch voices Hooty, the demon house, and King, the demon who accompanies Eda. Hirsch is the creator of Gravity Falls and voiced Grunkle Stan, Bill Cipher, Soos, and others from the television show. He has voiced in We Bare Bear, Star vs. The Forces of Evil, and other shows as a writer, screenwriter, or actor. There are other voice actors such as Issac Ryan Brown, Mae Whitman, Cissy Jones, and so on. The first episode begins in a cave, where there is a woman with mint hair dressed up in white witch clothing. In front of her is a dragon. She attacks the dragon with her wand in her hand and the dragon dies. The screen fades back into a teenager named Luz in the principal office. She is in trouble for breaking the multiple rules of the school. Luz wears a hoodie with lavender in the first half and cream in the lower half. Wears denim short jeans with black leggings in pearl shoes. She has bronze skin, short chocolate hair, and dark cinnamon eyes. Her mother decides to take her to a summer camp where she will discipline to become a normal teenager and make friends since she does not have any friends. She throws her favorite books into the garbage bin, however, she turns back around and sees a tan owl taking her book. Luz chases the owl to the olive forest. The owl enters an old and abandoned house with a mysterious door. The door has an eye, similar to a cat. Luz goes in, she stumbles into a woman. She has silver hair, ivory skin, gold eyes. She wears canary earrings, a ruby dress, raven leggings, and scarlet shoes. The dissimilar between her and Luz was the pointy ears the woman had. She reveals herself as Eda, The Owl Lady, the most powerful witch of the Boiling Isles. After they run away from the guards, they return to Eda’s house and Luz meets King and Hooty. Hooty is the demon house and King is the tiny demon, who is the king of all demons. Eda proposes a deal to Luz, if Luz helps them break into the prison, retreat the crown, and she can go back home. Luz agrees and they all proceed to break into the prison. After they find the crown, Luz decides to stay in Boiling Isles and to learn magic instead of going to the summer camp. As the series moves forward, Luz learns about the Boiling Isles’ magic and history. One of the story’s strengths is the characters. The characters have charm in their personality and the series explores the characters who will have importance towards the series. The pacing of the show is slow at first however they give some time to build up the characters and the plot. The comedy of the show works for the most part however it can miss the target. The animation is good as expected from Disney. The magic system is interesting as it reveals itself and the plot is captivating with the dynamics that work together very well. The show is a great show to watch if you want to watch something with mystery, and good character relationships.