La Casa de Papel | Teen Ink

La Casa de Papel MAG

May 10, 2019
By Mateo1514 GOLD, Asuncion, Other
Mateo1514 GOLD, Asuncion, Other
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do as you please, learn how you want, but always write with your heart." (Mateo Conde)


“Money Heist,” better known as “La Casa de Papel,” has become one of the most viewed Spanish TV shows by non-Spanish speakers. It was released in May 2017 and still hasn’t lost its attraction to viewers. The story begins with a boy who has a terrible disease. While in the hospital, his father tells him criminal stories, and, he tells him about his biggest dream which is to heist the National Royal Mint where money is printed. A few days later, the boy’s father is killed when he is entering a bank. And some 20 or more years later, as a tribute of his father’s death, the grown up boy, Sergio, plansto fulfill his father’s dream.

“Money Heist” is very successful because its fans are not only in Latin American countries, but in African, Asian, and European countries as well. This fact has opened people’s minds from all cultures and inspired them to invest in the show. 

The cast is amazing. They express their feelings through more than language. Just by looking at their faces you can see what’s going on in the show. The main characters are a criminal mastermind called “The Professor” and eight robbers who try to infiltrate the Royal Mint. The relationship between Tokyo and Rio (two of the criminals), the constant fights between dad and son (Denver and Moscú, two other criminals), and the relationship Denver develops with one hostage (Monica Gaztambide) create twists and tension that keep you glued to the screen.

Who, ultimately, are the good guys and who are the bad ones? This is a question viewers will ask at some point. And all will wonder who they want to win the final battle – the robbers or the police. Because of all the little things that the robbers share about themselves, it’s hard not to become invested in them. I can assure you that half of the audience will want the robbers to win. 

“La Casa de Papel,” is one of the most intriguing TV shows I’ve ever watched because you never know what will happen next. Without a doubt, if there is something that characterizes the series, it is that nothing seems as it really is. And when it seems that something predictable or trite will come, a new twist returns to surprise us.

I personally don’t like crime shows, however, this one is different. The marvellous plan by The Professor is so intriguing and interesting that more and more people are motivated to keep watching the show. I would not recommend this show to students under 12 because of some of the sex scenes. Also, a lot of the problems depicted on the show are solved with violence and there is offensive vocabulary.