“Where You Lead, I Will Follow” | Teen Ink

“Where You Lead, I Will Follow”

By emilymerlino BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
emilymerlino BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Love, family, friendship, and ambition compile to create the American classic, Gilmore Girls. First debuting on October 5, 2000, Amy Sherman-Palladino’s comedy-drama television series took off touching the hearts of many. Taking place in a made-up town in Connecticut, a single mother and daughter go through life complications such as education, disappointment, and social class. Lorelai Gilmore, played by Lauren Graham, left her high society parents and life at sixteen years old and moved to the small town of Stars Hollow with her new daughter, Rory Gilmore (Alexis Bledel). The feel-good show presents their everyday lives in the small, story-book town where the girls are surrounded by many colorful musicians, businessmen, and everyday people. The relationship between the mother and daughter is admirable and part of the reason fans have such a connection with the two.
     The seven-season show became the second most popular show on The WB (The Warner Brothers) network with a growing fan population. Gilmore Girlsfans find joy in the realistic aspect of the show, such as the inevitable relationships between much-loved characters. According to The Top Tens’ summary of the show, “Television critics praised Gilmore Girls for its witty dialogue, cross-generational appeal, and effective mix of humor and drama.” The pop culture references, too, establish the sense of a relationship between the audience and their favorite cast. Lorelai’s sarcastic personality and answer for everything leaves viewers idolizing her, and even picking up some of her popular phrases.
            The seventh and final season of Gilmore Girlsended on May 15, 2007, and left Lorelai and Rory fans dying to know more. In 2016, 9 years later, Netflix streamed the Gilmore Girlsrevival. The four-episode miniseries called Gilmore Girls: A Day in the Lifemet all the fans expectations. Although the new episodes had a different vibe than the original, the same beloved cast and Sherman-Palladino returned after almost a decade. Having that final seeing of the character’s lives and the recognized sparks between characters lead somewhere, left Gilmore Girlsfans very content.
            A significant aspect within this television series is the disappointment and ambition incorporated into the script. Real life problems including struggling to pay for her daughter’s well-deserved elite education, and even disagreements between mother and daughter, allowed the audience to relate to Lorelai and even retain some of her wise advice. The ambition throughout each episode devised a message of encouragement and inspiration for the audience to take away from the show. The relationship between the two admired main characters and the start to all 153 episodes of Gilmore Girlsare represented in just six very meaningful words, “Where you lead, I will follow”.

This piece is a telelevision show review on the comedy-drama Gilmore Girls.