The Masked Singer | Teen Ink

The Masked Singer

To kick off 2019, Fox Network premiered their new show, The Masked Singer,on Wednesday, January 2nd. The famous panel of judges consisting of Robin Thicke, Nicole Scherzinger, Ken Jeong, and Jenny McCarthy plus show host Nick Cannon seem intriguing enough to entice viewers across the country. However, the concept of the show is very interesting. To put it one way, the contestants are dressed up as a Lion, Hippo, Monster, Peacock, Alien, Deer, Bee, Rabbit, Unicorn, Pineapple, Crow, and Poodle. There are hundreds of singing competition shows throughout America, although there is nothing quite like the idea of this one.

Inspired by South Korean television show, The King of Mask Singer, 12 celebrities dress up in crazy, yet hilarious costumes that mask their identity. Each week, celebrities face head to head performing their best song. Before the performances, prerecorded clues are given to help the viewers guess who that “Masked Singer” might be. At the end of each round, the audience votes on an app who they think deserves to win. The judges each take a guess on which celebrity they think is underneath the intricate costume. The winner remains safe advancing to the next week and their identity still unknown. At the end of the episode, the bottom three celebrities are brought back onto the stage where the judges are to decide who goes home. The loser takes off their mask and unveils their identity to everyone. The show will continue weekly until there is a final unmasked contestant.

The commercials and advertisements for The Masked Singerclearly helped make the premiere a success. On Wednesday night, there were 9.2 million viewers eagerly watching to see whose identity will be revealed. This was a huge achievement for Fox and is hopefully a sign that this show will continue to be a hit. Personally, I think the show will be very successful because of our society’s fascination in pop culture celebrities. Between all of the celebrities, they've accumulated four Super Bowl titles,  four Hollywood Walk of Fame stars, nine Broadway shows, 16 Emmy nominations, 16 multi-Platinum albums, and 65 Grammy nominations. These hints let the suspense build each week as the viewers try to figure out who the contestants are.

After watching the first episode, I am definitely interested in this series. Although there are a countless amount of singing shows such as American Idol, The Voice, The Four, and many more, I really enjoy the fresh, exciting twist and new perspective that The Masked Singer brings to television. I feel that since the show has aspects of not only singing and performing, but comedy and suspense it will attract all different types of viewers. The combination of celebrity culture and mystery is a brilliant idea that will keep the audience intrigued and wanting to tune in every week until the riddle is solved.

I am absolutely excited to watch this series every week and I know millions of others are, too. I recommend watching especially because the show is new to America and full of unique concepts and twists. Although the show is somewhat odd, Fox has definitely created something that will be a huge success. I am sure each episode will bring talent, anticipation and many laughs. You don’t want to miss out on famous celebrities dressed up in crazy costumes singing to all types of music. Will you be able to guess who the contestants are? Tune in on Fox every Wednesday to see! 

Very cool show