Venom(2015) by Bullet For My Valentine | Teen Ink

Venom(2015) by Bullet For My Valentine

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

After the flop that is Temper Temper in 2013, this Welsh Metalcore decided to try to redeem themselves by going back to what made them good in the first place: Thrash metal inspired melodic metalcore music. This is a band that I have been listening to since their debut album in 2006 The Poison and they still have left me to listen to them today. Although Venom may not be a good explamation why I like these guys, it is part of the reason why. If this is the first time hearing of this band, I highly recommend you check them out sometime.

Venom is the band's fifth full length album going back to their thrash inspired roots when compared to their more softer approach on Temper Temper. From the singles you may have gotten before this like No Way Out or You Want a Battle(Here's a War), you can tell they're not pulling any punches from here on out. Matt Tuck, the lead singer, has a very iconic voice...at least with his clean vocals but whatever. That can translate to what you hear from this album with the mostly ballad-like style of metalcore which was also done by other bands like Killswitch Engage and All That Remains. The instrumentation, while fairly typical for metalcore, is surprisingly fast and heavy at times that this could rival stuff from their first two albums(The Poison and Scream Aim Fire), as shown in songs like the previously mentioned No Way Out and Broken. The solos are decent at worst and can even rival the likes of massive shredders like Micheal Romeo, Marty Friedman and John Petrucci, somehow. While not the most diverse album I've seen, that probably be The Poison, you should expect a ballad of any sort in here somewhere. The first of which being track #7, Venom. Not entirely speed heavy and relies mostly on Matt's clean vocals which can work really well for ballads and always has as far as I'm aware. For a metalcore album, there are a surpising lack of breakdowns that I can at least make out to be as such. Yeah sure, they had many songs with no breakdowns like Tears Don't Fall, All These Things I Hate, Bittersweet Memories, etc. although they were still highly prominent in their music, this is not really much of a complaint though, just something I noticed. I can say I like this album quite alot here. You may not but I will consider this their comeback album.

I give this an 8.5/10, I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.

Thanks for reading this. What do you think? Do you love or hate and why? Leave your answers in the comments below.