Faustian Shores(2012) by Agalloch | Teen Ink

Faustian Shores(2012) by Agalloch

May 21, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


Continuing on with our prog rock marathon of a sort, we head to Agalloch with yet another EP review. Agalloch has been a band that's known to give vivid atmosphere using their brilliant combination of Black Metal, Neofolk and Progressive Rock music that can give chilling atmospheres farther than anyone can predict. Though this time, it is based off a movie.
The movie was in 1994 and is what makes the namesake for the album. In fact you can here pieces of conversation dialogue from the movie on the soft parts of this song. Right, I forgot to mention it's another one of those one track EPs like Meshuggah`s I. Anyways this is honestly the most brutal and most black metal of their works in my opinion following more of an Ambient/Atmospheric Black Metal tradition within it. While it's unoriginal and not Agalloch, it sounds like what you might get when listening to Baroque style piece like Antonio Vivaldi`s The Four Seasons where we only have black metal heavy(forte) and melodic folk interludes(piano) that make great contrast throughout. I find that a nice touch.
I do feel they did try to rehash the sound from Marrow of The Spirit a little bit, which that album is weak compared to everything else, but I find enjoyment in it regardless. I give this EP a 9/10. I an the Grim Reaper, signing off.


The author's comments:

I have said this many times before but, do expect many album reviews in the summer months. Trust me, there's alot to cover!