Stephen Stills | Teen Ink

Stephen Stills MAG

If you'veever dipped into the old folk-rock recordings of the late'60s, you've probably heard of Buffalo Springfield or Crosby,Stills, and Nash. The backbone of both bands was musicianStephen Stills. Stills wrote the protest song, "For WhatIt's Worth" for Buffalo Springfield and classics forCrosby, Stills, and Nash like "Suite: Judy BlueEyes" and "Carry On."

His musicianshipis almost unparalleled, but peers Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrixand others overshadowed him. His music is strongly influencedby the blues and old folk music. His guitar playing isoriginal; when you hear it, you know instantly it's him. Hisvocals fit his style like a glove. His voice is rough likesandpaper, but smooth enough to sing ballads. When his voicemixes with David Crosby's and Graham Nash's, it isunbelievable; they blend in perfect harmony.

LatelyStills has received more recognition. The Martin GuitarCompany has made 91 custom guitars to his specifications withthe profit going to charity. In 1998, the Rock 'n' Roll Hallof Fame honored him twice the same night, both with BuffaloSpringfield and Crosby, Stills, and Nash. But Stills remainsalmost unknown by our generation. If you ever feel likelistening to some good folk-rock, pick up Stephen Stills.