The Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack | Teen Ink

The Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack

The Nightmare Before Christmas is actually one of the first unconventional Disney movies because instead of starting out in a cheery place, you're taken to the dark world of Halloween, which is carried over in the music, also produced under Disney, that was written and composed by Danny Elfman, but like any great musical the songs really represent the characters and areas more than anything else about the movie.

The stylistic changes in just the orchestrations are enough to tell you that this soundtrack covers a lot of tastes as it goes from the dark almost off pitch tones in the music for Halloween to the upbeat light feel of the music used for Christmas. Even certain characters have different musical forms, including the movie's villain, Oogie Boogie, whose song sounds like something you might hear in a 1920's jazz lounge.

I'm not saying this CD is for everyone; there's a lot more of the darker sounds from Halloween to the music, but the lyrics have almost a Seussian feel to them and you really get a feel for the characters after listening to this for awhile. It's your choice to pick this one up. Although, if you're a big musical fan like me, then I suggest you add it to your collection because it's the only one of it's kind.