The Killers | Teen Ink

The Killers MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     The Killers swept the nation with their first CD, “Hot Fuss” and this year the Vegas-based band is striving to achieve greatness with their new release, “Sam's Town.” The Killers fall short of last year's success by trying to create profound and unique music and trying too hard to be like the top British bands of the past.

The only sizzle this CD has is “When You Were Young,” which discusses change and reform while reminiscing of days past. The song is catchy but mostly stands out because of the good beat and British-esque vocal stylings of lead singer Brandon Flowers.

Although “Sam's Town” is somewhat poetic, and the lyrics are more mature than “Hot Fuss,” the album is nowhere near insightful enough to be considered profound. It seems like the cheeky Killers we all learned to love have traded in their unpretentious, fun lyrics for songs that don't really say anything.

“Sam's Town” mixes old with new, modeling songs after the band's influences: The Beatles, Queen, and David Bowie. The CD has a British feel and doesn't disappoint in the instrumental department, but the more mature lyrics are boring.

The success of their last CD may be setting high expectations for The Killers, and inflating their egos. The Grammy-nominated “Hot Fuss” sold over five million copies and went platinum.

“Sam's Town” does not measure up to the originality of its predecessor. The Killers are trying too hard to be great and are taking too many pointers from other bands. They need to get back to the vulnerability of “Hot Fuss” and stop trying to become the best band in the world.