Blown Away by Carrie Underwood | Teen Ink

Blown Away by Carrie Underwood

By nerdgirl999 PLATINUM, New York, New York
nerdgirl999 PLATINUM, New York, New York

"What, my dear Lady Disdain! are you yet living?" -- Benedick, Much Ado About Nothing, Shakespeare

My aunt was recently diagnosed with cancer, and the night I found out, I locked myself in my room and searched desperately for a melancholy, angry song. After Internet searching, which didn't seem to produce much, I realized that I had just bought the new album "Blown Away" by Carrie Underwood and I turned the volume all the way up and hit play (a little more aggressively than I normally would have). The words spoke to my aching soul with fiery passion. My favorite line is: "Dry lightning cracks across the skies." I imagined my whole world closing in on me. I could imagine the girl in the cellar, rocking back and forth, relishing the storm, delighting in her isolation. I felt grey and cold, and it chilled me to a slow simmer long enough so I could achieve some calm. Carrie Underwood's voice is rich but moving and "Blown Away" let me escape from my drowning world and feel the pain of someone else.