Some Nights by fun. | Teen Ink

Some Nights by fun. MAG

By Erinwolf1997 PLATINUM, San Carlos, California
Erinwolf1997 PLATINUM, San Carlos, California

Fun has been in the spotlight since their single “We Are Young” was covered by the cast of “Glee” and climbed to number one in the Billboard Hot 100. It's surprising that an indie band made it to the top of the charts, surpassing mainstream artists like Adele, One Direction, and Katy Perry. It definitely takes a dynamic track to make it that high, which is exactly what Fun has delivered in their sophomore album, “Some Nights.”

Fun was formed by Nate Ruess (The Format), Jack Antonoff (Steel Train), and Andrew Dost (Anathallo) after the Format disbanded in 2008. They released their debut album, “Aim and Ignite,” in 2009, which was packed with Queen-esque quirky indie pop hooks. The album didn't receive much attention, but Fun toured with artists like Paramore through late 2009 and 2010.

Released in February 2012, “Some Nights” is packed with energy and has tastes of hip-hop, along with the theatrical, poppy style shown in their debut. This album is phenomenal, a near-spotless compilation of songs that will stick with you.

The opener, “Some Nights Intro,” is a brief introduction to the title track that makes you feel like it should belong on Broadway. It is a short but deep and necessary part of the album.

The title track is an airy, complex tune with an amazing beat. It's hard to resist, with its foot-stomping beat and great energy. With lyrics like, “I try twice as hard and I'm half as liked,” “Some nights I wish that this all would end, 'cause I could use some friends for a change,” and “My heart's breaking for my sister, and the con that she called love,” this is not a happy song, but it never puts me in a bad mood.

“We Are Young” is a track lots of people know, due to its recent popularity. It's slightly melancholy, but upbeat and melodic. With its lyrics, “Tonight, we are young, so we'll set the world on fire, we can burn brighter than the sun,” its message is versatile for almost any situation. Although not a highlight of the album for me, it's still a great listen.

Taking a step back from the brightness of the rest of the album, you get to “Carry On,” a mellow but uplifting and optimistic tune. “If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone, carry on” shows how much optimism you can pack into an album that's full of hardship. This is a great tune that makes me think every time I hear it.

“It Gets Better” shows off the hip-hop influences in the album. Inspired by the band's support of LGBTQ rights, it's another cheerful and buoyant song. Although the vocal effects can be slightly overwhelming, it has a great message.

One of the most unique songs, in my opinion, is “All Alone.” It is another heartbroken song but is hip-hoppy and vibrant. “I fell in love with a wind-up souvenir” and “How do you cry with inanimate eyes?” showcase this quirky track's unique qualities, both in lyrics and composition.

Another of my favorites is “One Foot.” It has a fantastic, foot-stomping beat with thundering bass, and is unforgettable live. This is a great song that is bound to be a hit.

The last song, “Stars,” is the longest, topping almost seven minutes, and is often overlooked and underrated due to its use of auto-tune. I, however, think this effect contributes to the slightly sad, dreamy sound. It has great lyrics, that allude to Ruess's personal life, like “Some nights I rule the world, with Barlights and Pretty Girls, but most nights I stay straight and think about my mom. Oh God, I miss her so much.” Although the song is long, I never lose interest due to its intoxicatingly dreamy and almost sleepy sound.

This album has a few flaws, but they are overshadowed by the amazing qualities it has to offer.

cutiepie said...
on Nov. 15 2012 at 8:30 am
i think that fun. is an awesome group they should keep on making songs