Psychedelicées | Teen Ink

Psychedelicées

"Psychedelicées

Music is more emotional than intellectual, and language barriers don’t exist when cheesy but good pop music is present. Want proof? Check out Alizée’s December 2007 release, “Psychedelices”.

The first single, “Mademoiselle Juliette” is cute dance-pop song that starts you off on a roller-coaster ride of sugary-sweet pop, somber slow tunes, and even Alizée’s cute, but interesting dabble into hip-hop.

As someone who generally doesn’t like slow songs, the title track “Psychedelices”, “Idealiser”, and “L’Effet”, don’t do much for me. But “Par Le Paupiéres” does, with Alizée’s cooing voice and the cool dreamy music. Yet it’s the radio-friendly pop songs that carry the album, like “Lilly Town”, “Jamais Plus” and my favorite, “Fifty-Sixty” (a song about the not-so-happy and rather short life of Warhol Superstar, Edie Sedgwick.)

This is Alizée’s third album, after Gourmandises and Mes Courants Electriques, and the first one without the creative guidance of another French superstar, Myléne Farmer (who is also another favorite singer of mine.) While the absence of the environment created by Myléne’s lyrics and producer Laurent Boutonnat’s music is obvious, it’s still a great CD, perfect for popping into you car and singing along to lyrics you only partially understand.

“Psychedelices” is a sweet treat that’s great for anyone who wants to experience some good music beyond what our stateside pop-stars have to offer. And all I have to say for that is, “Merci, Alizée!”

TRACKLISTING
1. Mademoiselle Juliette
2. Fifty Sixty
3. Mon Taxi Driver
4. Jamais Plus
5. Psychédélices
6. Décollages
7. Par Les Paupières
8. Lilly Town
9. Lonely List
10. Idéaliser
11. Effet

Website: www.alizee-officiel.com