Autumn Fallin' by Jaymay | Teen Ink

Autumn Fallin' by Jaymay

By hannahbee7 DIAMOND, Boca Raton, Florida
hannahbee7 DIAMOND, Boca Raton, Florida

"You know you’re a writer if your friend tells you a heartbreaking story and your first reaction is – wow, that would make an incredible plot for a novel. You know you’re a smart writer if you manage to keep that reaction to yourself."

The first song I heard from Jaymay’s album, Autumn Fallin’ was the song Autumn Fallin’ itself. From the first thirty seconds of the song- maybe even less- I knew I had come across something special. It’s hard to believe there are still talented artists in the world when the radio is blaring a nameless fool repeating “I’m only gonna break break oh break break your heart” enough times that you’re certain it’s the only phrase available in their repertoire of English. Jaymay, however, proved to be a remedy to this poison. Her voice is magnificently simple and fresh, and her guitar, piano, (and occasionally xylophone) ability far superior then most. Her lyrics though, are what makes this artist stand out as my favorite.

You know that feeling when you hear a song that just relates to you? Well, Jaymay does that. She does it again and again and again, each song more applicable than the first. Anyone who has ever been in love can relate to Jaymay. Anyone who has ever lost someone they love can relate to Jaymay. Anyone who has ever met “unkind people” can relate to Jaymay. Something about her music makes the listener feel they are connecting deeply to a person who has experienced the same life, or the same emotions.

Not only that, but the unedited honesty of the lyrics are breathtaking. In the song “Sea Green, See Blue” Jaymay admits, “This is crazy, but I know I left you to be with your art. You always put me first, and somehow that broke my heart.” It’s as if each song is a letter to a loved one, an ex-boyfriend, or even a diary entry to herself. They rhymes and beats are effortless, each one leaving me thinking “Pshh, I could write music. Jaymay made it look easy!”

Trust me when I say that no one can make music like Jaymay. Since my accidental find years ago I’ve been looking. Regina Spektor comes close, but is more poppy than my tastes. No one else is such a confusing and tantalizing mix of pop, country, folk music, indie music, and singer-songwriter melodies, which leaves a genre impossible to define. Her voice is unedited, and her lyrics are unforgettable. I simply cannot manage to say enough good about Jaymay, and so I propose all those with common sense go look her up immediately. After all, Jaymay is relatable not just to lovers and ex-girlfriends, but also to us. The writers, “And you know I’m always writing so you think I’m good with words, but I can hardly express how I feel, cause words aren’t why love is real.” Jaymay leaves me hopeful and inspired every time.

This is one of my all time favorite musicians. I am starting a series of reviews of different artists, so leave your recommendations and keep checking back!

TaHa404 SILVER said...
on Nov. 24 2010 at 10:02 am
TaHa404 SILVER, Midlothian, Virginia

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."
~Lemony Snicket (Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid)

I absolutely love Jaymay, and discovered her several weeks ago. I'm glad to finally see someone post about non-top 40 music!