Is Weird Fishes/ Arpeggi by Radiohead The It Song? | Teen Ink

Is Weird Fishes/ Arpeggi by Radiohead The It Song?

March 19, 2024
By Anonymous

Experience the mesmerizing beauty of the five-minute and nineteen-second song filled with intricate guitar picking and delicate arpeggios. Immerse yourself in the captivating subtonic tone, carefully crafted by Thom Yorke using the 7th scale degree. Let the harmonious melodies transport you to a world of musical enchantment and a different universe.


Released in 2007, “In Rainbows” by Radiohead consists of 10 songs in the album. All are mostly composed by the group varying in lyrics, harmony, melody, and music composition. One out of the ten is the most popular according to Genius, an online music encyclopedia allowing anyone to provide annotations and interpretation to the song’s lyrics, stories, sources, etc.,  “Weird Fishes/Arpeggi” can be one of the most complex songs in this album. Why? Because it's a continuous loop of arpeggio. Followed throughout the entire song and brings you into a headspace so deep, that everything around you disappears making it a gold song. 


There's something about how the band has a way of experimenting with different sounds and textures throughout the song, putting you in this certain mood. A loop of mesmerizing arpeggiated guitar riffs that you would want to keep playing non-stop like a lullaby.  Thom Yorke uses different ranges of high and low chords in a different fretboard and collides them together to create a masterpiece. A very melodic sequence of notes combined. 


But besides the endless loop of arpeggio, the lyrics do it for most. With such little lyrics, the words paint a picture for the listener and where Yorke is coming from. “ I’ll be crazy not to follow, follow where you lead, your eyes, they turn me”, is an example of saying so little yet so much. He implies that he knows where he’s going and is willing to risk everything. Just for that little moment and memory to cherish even if it hurts him, it is done and achieved. 


The band member says the focus of the song is on finding love. However, I don't perceive that theme when I listen to it. Instead, it transports me to a specific state. It evokes a sense of euphoria and freedom within me, all thanks to the song. During the five minutes and nineteen seconds of its duration, peace envelops me and concentration fills the air. Helping me escape from real-life problems, stress, and even the intense desire for love everyone yearns for. But to me, Weird Fishes/ Arpeggi is a multifaceted composition that transports you to a marvelous realm.