Yeezus; A Beautiful Nightmare | Teen Ink

Yeezus; A Beautiful Nightmare

Following the release of his critically acclaimed album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye had solidified his status at the top of the music world. But he had also managed to improve his public perception following his infamous VMA incident. Despite having shown the world he can create a masterpiece, he still felt like he was being held down. As he was seen as nothing more but an artist. And most people didn't care about his venture in fashion. People only wanted music, so he was going to give them music in the form of Yeezus. However, Yeezus is not just an ordinary album, it's rather an experience using abrasive sounds and lyrics that deep dive into Kanye's ego and personal struggle to take the listener on a journey into the mind of one of the most polarizing artists of all time.

With the help of producers Rick Rubin, Daft Punk, Hudson Mohawke, and electronic duo Daft Punk came together to make an album that is very different from his previous work. Using elements from punk and industrial genres and minimalistic production only using heavy drums and distorted synthesizers to set the scene for a dark, aggressive, and gritty atmosphere. For example, tracks like On Sight and Send It Up, both tracks are very chaotic. With the beginning of On Sight, sounding as if lighting is striking down. But at the same time having a track with lighter tone production like Bound 2, using Ponderosa Twins Plus One's Bound to make a soulful sampled based track.

Lyrically, Yeezus is different from his previous album. The lyrics are bold and very introspective. With many of the lyrics tackling themes of race, ego, and personal struggles. Tracks like Black Skinhead and New Slaves being a social commentary on racial issues. While tracks like Hold My Liquor and Guilt Trip explore Kanye's vulnerable side. Particularly, Hold My Liquor going into Kanye's relationship struggle. With lyrics describing Kanye's battle with alcohol and the toll it took on his relationship. With the repeating line, “I can’t handle my liquor” emphasizes his vulnerability. But acknowledging the pain he caused to himself and his loved ones.

Sonically and lyrically, the album is very different from his previous albums. Sure the sounds might be a turn off for new listeners, but I feel Yeezus is an experience that everyone should listen to. The album is very experimental, but its lyrics can be very thought-provoking. While its experimental sound can be a turn off for new listeners. But for those who are willing to listen to it, Yeezus can be an experience. But it also serves as a testament to the possibilities of artistic vision.