Tupac Essay | Teen Ink

Tupac Essay

By burgermcmuffin SILVER, Sacramento, California
burgermcmuffin SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise."- Frank Ocean

Tupac has many reputations and has influenced media, culture and music throughout his career. Many would say he's a bad person and  honestly there's no argument there. Regardless of the bad things he's done you can't deny he has a really interesting life that many people could relate to (other than most of the crimes he commited). In my opinion learning about tupac would be more beneficial than learning about someone like shakespeare or other old timey well known figures in history. His work is unique and something many can relate to but can't put into words like he could. But I do think it's important to acknowledge his wrong doings and not glorify his actions.

Tupac was a young rapper, actor, activist, poet, who was brought up in a rough situation. He didn't know who his biological father was, and the only father figure he had ever known was incarcerated. His mother was a part of the black panthers but later became an addict, moving Tupac around a lot but left a mark of activism in his mind. His relationship with his mother was a big source of his work, he said “My mother taught me three things, respect, knowledge-search for knowledge, it's an eternal journey….And she taught me to not be quiet, if there's something on my mind, speak it. But also to listen.”

Tupac's art form was through language. He was an intellectual. He read, wrote poetry, and rapped. His persona of individuality and his resistance to following what others stereotype him to be as a black man inspired many. He expressed himself and his emotions in metaphors, symbolism  and was described to be a safe haven for many. His impact in the music industry was important, relevant, and reflective for many. He brought a new perspective to the table and remade an image of what a rapper could be.

I feel like Tupac's work and story promotes self expression and individuality in a relatable non forced way. How can we, the audience relate to something that happened in a different, farther away generation? It's the struggle of a black man coming from a non privileged background that inspires. His mistakes, exposure and lack of repression is what made him an authentic genuine figure you don't usually hear about. He represents imperfection that many can see in themselves and relate to. 

i got a really good grade off of this essay :)