Is “WAP” That Bad? | Teen Ink

Is “WAP” That Bad?

April 29, 2021
By kamiller16 BRONZE, Nome, Alaska
kamiller16 BRONZE, Nome, Alaska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There’s no question that shortly after August 7, 2020, many sides of the internet were at a large conflict. Arguably two of the biggest female rappers in the game-Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion-released the song “WAP,” and it garnered much attention for its use of language and sexual descriptions. The song caused an uproar among many older and conservative online personas, while much of the world’s twenty-somethings and teenagers made it the Song of the Year. With the unveiling of “WAP,” it is clear that many people either love or hate it. But, should “WAP” be as controversial as it is? From the perspective of a youth raised in the age of social media, Crocs, and “Toxic” by Britney Spears, the song “WAP” isn’t the worst song I’ve ever heard. There is no question about the popularity of the song, but why has “WAP” caused so much commotion on so many levels?

No stranger to controversy and backlash, Cardi B rose to fame in 2017 with the song “Bodak Yellow.” The 28-year-old hip-hop songwriter is known for her unrestrained personality that often manifests itself through her music. Cardi has also made a name for herself through her stint in 2016 on the reality show “Love & Hip Hop: New York.” Megan Thee Stallion is newer to stardom, but has amassed a large following after her 2018 single “Big Ole Freak” (from her EP Tina Snow) peaked at 65 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart. The song also went on to be RIAA Certified Platinum.

Although the women are popular, it doesn't mean they are admired (or even respected for that matter) by everyone. James P. Bradley, a Republican California congressional candidate, said the women, “are what happens when children are raised without God and without a strong father figure” (Twitter.com). On the other hand, there are many people who believe “WAP” should be celebrated. NBC journalist and cultural critic Susanne Ramírez de Arellano touches on the double standard of outward sexuality of women in the music industry, calling the track, “a glorious gender role reversal and the triumph of delicious filth” (nbcnews.com).

The male-dominated hip-hop environment has long used sexuality as material for music. Artists like Dr. Dre, Sir Mix-a-Lot, and Snoop Dogg are some of the artists that influenced the rap game in and after the 1990’s. Songs like “Pony” by Ginuine and Naughty By Nature’s “O.P.P.” are prime examples of rap from the 90’s that include lyrics about sexuality, and even infidelity. For decades, male rappers have faced little to no backlash or criticism for their explicit lyrics. In the more recent decades, rap songs have been expelled with sexual sayings and explicit melodies. Heck, “WAP” itself is sampled from DJ Frank Ski’s 1993 song “Wh*res in This House.” The lyrics of which, actually, are just the title repeated over and over. Original.

Uncoincidentally, Cardi B’s husband, Offset (also a rapper), was part of the all-male rap trio Migos. In a review of their third studio album Culture II, journalist Nic Harris of The Yale Herald wrote that, “Culture II is all about — turning ‘slanging’ cocaine, lavish spending, and copious amounts of sex into a quasi-religious artform” (The Yale Herald). And, even though many considered the album a let-down in many aspects, there was almost no backlash against the group’s use of language, ethics, or upbringings compared later to their female counterparts. 

“WAP” dominated the 2020/21 award season, with 12 nominations across multiple music associations, and two awards- the American Music Award for Favorite Rap/Hip-hop Song AND the People’s Choice Award for Favorite Collaboration Song. Whether you like it or not, the song has earned and deserves respect from everyone who has heard of it. The “controversy” surrounding “WAP” is in the hands of those listening, and once the double standards of the music industry are removed, “WAP” is no more controversial than the male dominated stance of the hip-hop industry.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Works Cited:


Brown, August. “California Congressional Candidate Slams Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion's 'WAP'.” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 7 Aug. 2020, www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-08-07/cardi-b-megan-thee-stallion-wap-congressional-candidate-james-bradley. 
 Bradley, James P. “Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion Are What Happens When...” Twitter, Twitter, 7 Aug. 2020, twitter.com/jamesbradleyca/status/1291735105774522368?lang=en.
Gomez, Jade. “How Megan Thee Stallion Earned Her Confidence.” Rolling Stone, Rolling Stone, 18 Mar. 2019, www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/megan-thee-stallion-freestyle-808378/.
Harris, Nic. “Migos, Culture II.” Medium, The Yale Herald, 9 Feb. 2018, yaleherald.com/migos-culture-ii-51c18cdd29b9.
McCarthy, Tyler. “Cardi B Slams Republican Critics, Blames Them for Backlash to Hit Song 'WAP'.” Fox News, FOX News Network, 8 Feb. 2021, www.foxnews.com/entertainment/cardi-b-republican-critics-backlash-wap.
Paiella, Gabriella. “Wait, What: The Week in 'WAP'.” GQ, GQ, 14 Aug. 2020, www.gq.com/story/the-week-in-wap.
Ramírez de Arellano, Susanne. “'WAP' by Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion Is a Joyful Role Reversal. No Wonder People Are Mad.” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, 10 Aug. 2020, www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/wap-cardi-b-megan-thee-stallion-joyful-role-reversal-no-ncna1236301.
Rosenberg, Alyssa. “Opinion | 'WAP' Is Completely Filthy. We Could Use a Lot More Pop Culture like It.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 18 Aug. 2020, www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/18/wap-is-completely-filthy-we-could-use-lot-more-pop-culture-like-it/.
Spiegelman, Ian. “A Local Congressional Candidate Is Frothing Over Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion's 'WAP'.” Los Angeles Magazine, 7 Aug. 2020, www.lamag.com/culturefiles/wap-cardi-b-megan-thee-stallion/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CCardi%20B%20%26%20Megan%20Thee%20Stallion,this%20is%20their%20role%20model!%E2%80%9D.
Zornosa, Laura. “Why Can't the Internet Stop Talking about Cardi B's 'WAP' Music Video?” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 14 Aug. 2020, www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-08-14/why-cant-the-internet-stop-talking-about-cardi-bs-wap-music-video. 


The author's comments:

I wrote this for my college Writing 111 class, and my teachers told me that I should submit it to Teen Ink. I believe if everyone takes a step back from the larger picture, there is much to be learned and reflected about, especially opinions about women in music.